VM to Fedora host : pb with ssh

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dalila

VM to Fedora host : pb with ssh

Post by Dalila »

Hi,

I use Virtual Box Oracle VM installed on my Windows computer to acces to a Linux host, Fedora.

The first connection to my session worked via a "ssh" command.

I tried a second time the connection but it didn't work. I am automatically under the session of another user's session.

Can someone help me to understand why and how I can fix this problem ?

Thanks.
Dalila
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM to Fedora host : pb with ssh

Post by scottgus1 »

One thing:
Dalila wrote: 4. Dec 2023, 17:35 ...acces to a Linux host guest, Fedora.
The VM is the guest. The physical PC is the host.

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)

Also state how you're SSHing into the VM. what Windows app, IP address, port, etc.

And what was it about the second connection attempt that "didn't work"? Were you able to connect but unable to get the correct user account? Or did the second attempt get rejected?
Dalila

Post by Dalila »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response and thank for correcting me (guest and host definitions). I also noted the procedure for recovering the log files in the event of a problem.

I tried to connect a second time and it's ok !

But, I had to make several attempts and it worked after writing the commandline : "ping numberIPserver".

Please excuse my newbie side with Linux. In fact I was under a liveuser session and not under another person's session. May I take advantage of this message to ask you: what is this liveuser session ? because I thought I would get directly to /home
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the report! I'm glad it's working now and that you found a solution.

FWIW I am a big Linux noob, too. It seems to me that the go-to Linux solution for everything is "Open a terminal and type a series of seemingly random characters." :lol: Of course, that's really what Windows is like at times, too, but I know Windows, not Linux. :D

I haven't actually ever heard of a "liveuser session", that's a new one.