Software lagging, advice needed?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
WelshMatt983

Software lagging, advice needed?

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Hi guys I've recently created a new VM with Windows 10, I previously had Windows 7 on same iMac which ran smoothly when running some software I use until yesterday. I never the new Windows 10 set up but it lags.

I also have another 27" retina iMac which has always lagged but this smaller non retina has worked perfectly for years until yesterday when my software just wouldn't boot up.

I've downloaded PC Health Check and check system requirements for Windows 11, a few of the red crosses it flagged up were...

The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11.

The system disk needs to be 64GB or greater, mines set at 54GB.

Processor needs to have two or more cores, mine has 1.

Could any of the above be the reason why it could be lagging? Have I set VM up incorrectly? I'm not an expert with PC's I'm afraid! :|

Thanks in advance for any replies! :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Software lagging, advice needed?

Post by scottgus1 »

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Thanks for your reply, I have ordered a new Mac Mini Pro and it is arriving Friday, so I will get this one set up and hopefully doesn't lag. If I am still having issues I will post log file.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you're getting an M1, M2, M3, M# Mac, forget running Virtualbox on it. Better stick with Intel-based Macs if they're still available. M1/M2 Mac 7.0 Beta Status
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Ahh yes it is an M2 Mac Mini, I guess I will have to switch to Parallels then in that case. :cry:

Thanks for letting me know anyway.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sure. You'll also probably be using the ARM version of whatever OS you virtualize, too. Emulating x86 takes a lot of processing power.