Set up new VM struggling

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
WelshMatt983

Set up new VM struggling

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Hi all, I have just set up a new VM, I done previous one years ago. I think it VB version is 6.0 as my computer is older and newer versions not compatible with my iMac.

Anyway, I have windows 10 installed but the screen is small in centre of screen, I have tried installing guest additions by clicking on Devices > Insert Guest Additions ISO, however when I do this nothing pops up.

I tried Devices > Optical Drives > Choose/Create and below this now has a tick next to VBOXguestadditionsISO but screen is still small? Has guest additions worked? How do I get it to full screen without stretching it from corner so looks stretched , large icons etc?

At the moment I have blue small windows screen inside large grey border.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Set up new VM struggling

Post by scottgus1 »

WelshMatt983 wrote: 5. Dec 2023, 16:36 I have tried installing guest additions by clicking on Devices > Insert Guest Additions ISO, however when I do this nothing pops up.
I bolded "Insert Guest Additions ISO" because that's all the command does: it inserts the ISO. It's up to the OS inside the VM to respond to the new "CD" that it sees in the VM's CD drive.

Most modern OS's don't respond to inserted CDs anymore. (It's called Autorun, and it was a security hole. Read about the Sony Rootkit for a particularly egregious example.

So, in all likelihood, you've not installed the Guest Additions yet. You have to open the CD drive and run the installer.

Note that different OS's run installers in different ways, and Linux has prerequisites, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Thanks for your reply, still struggling though. When I go into optical drives and choose/create I can see the VBOX iso file under the "attached" drop down. It's all a bit over my head to be honest everything I've tried so far hasn't worked.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Try this:
scottgus1 wrote: 5. Dec 2023, 17:00 You have to open the [VM's] CD drive and run the installer.
That's it in a nutshell.
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Thank you, I got there in the end, all sorted now thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.