windows cant loacate cd/dvd rom even though ive just installed from same iso

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
gabbermouth

windows cant loacate cd/dvd rom even though ive just installed from same iso

Post by gabbermouth »

Hi guys, could anyone help me with this?
Ive just got windows xp running on virtual box and have also installed the sims complete collection also. both installs wrked fine from the same optical drive. The problem im having is when i try to boot the game, all i get is windows cant find the cd rom in the drive even though i have it mounted. I've attatched the log to help anyone get to the bottom of this.
thanks for any help you guys can give to help me to get this game to run.

Gabbermouth.
Attachments
win xp-2023-12-04-19-20-47.log
(88.11 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: windows cant loacate cd/dvd rom even though ive just installed from same iso

Post by scottgus1 »

The "Sims" CD is actually an ISO:
00:00:02.791217 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/LUN#1/Config/] (level 5)
00:00:02.791218 Path <string> = "C:\Users\Gabber Mouth\Downloads\The-Sims-Complete-Collection_Win_EN_ISO-Version\THE SIMS CC.iso" (cb=96)
There could be some copy protection in place that an ISO does not account for.

If you have the original CD you could try that using the Host Drive as the attachment to the VM's Optical drive, and check the Passthrough box.
gabbermouth

Re: windows cant loacate cd/dvd rom even though ive just installed from same iso

Post by gabbermouth »

slight issue, one i dont have the original cd and, two, i dont have a cd/dvd drive
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Those sound like some pretty big issues! :D

There may not be much you can do. Some copy protection depends on errors in a physical CD that don't get duplicated in an ISO.

If you can put other ISO's in the VM and those ISO's work, this ISO may not be compatible as a game media.
gabbermouth

Post by gabbermouth »

scottgus1 wrote: 4. Dec 2023, 21:50 If you can put other ISO's in the VM and those ISO's work, this ISO may not be compatible as a game media.
Then i how come itll leeet me install it but not run it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The program can't check for the copy protection errors it needs to confirm to run the game until it's installed. So the program has to be written into the CD or ISO without errors.

Web-search on copy protection for CDs. The problems aren't in the actual game data. They're in the specially-malformed metadata sector markers, etc, around the data, among other schemes.

The ISO's data is probably bit-for-bit identical to the CD's data, but the metadata errors aren't present.

Basically, the game is doing precisely what it is designed to do when a user is doing what you are doing: running an ISO copy, not the CD.