no network on mac host with bridge

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
marxist

no network on mac host with bridge

Post by marxist »

hi,

i installed debian linux in virtualbox 2.1 on mac os x 10.5.6. with nat networking everything works fine. when i switch to bridged network (host controller -> airport), both my network connections in linux and mac os x stop working.

the interessting part is, that the linux client does get an ip (my local network uses the 192.168.5.x range), e.g.: 192.168.5.71. routes and resolve.conf look fine (router and dns is: 192.168.5.11).
with the newest version of virtualbox the client's network works for a short time (was able to install openssh-server), but stops then (pinging the router gives "destination host unreachable").
unfortunatly networking on my mac ox x host then stops working, too!! no dns resolution, nothing. i have to reboot to get it working again. closing virtualbox is not sufficient.

anyone else experiencing this? any clues?

regards,
Tobias
jhowk
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and All

Post by jhowk »

I get the same thing with an XP guest when using the AirPort interface. Using a different adapter (AMD vs. Intel) doesn't fix it either. NAT works normally. The only thing I haven't tried is to use the physical ethernet connection instead and test.
squadron

Re: no network on mac host with bridge

Post by squadron »

I'm experiencing a similar problem.

I'm on OS X 10.5.6 Host w/vbox 2.1.0. I'm trying to network an Ubuntu Server 8.10 VM with my LAN so I can access the VM IP address for website testing (port 80). I enabled host interface sharing (Airport is the host interface) and setup a static IP inside the VM. It seems to work for 5 minutes, then my net-connection slows/stops (on host and VM) then bounces back to normal. It repeats this slow/stopping every 5 minutes, but appears to work fine during those 5 minute intervals. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks for any help.

Update: I may have solved the problem with some help from erstazi in freenode.net/#vbox. As noted in the User Manual in section 6.5, Currently, VirtualBox supports only IPv4 over AirPort. With this in mind, I disabled IPv6 on my Airport network settings.

System Preferences > Network Pane > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure IPv6: Off

Update again: Spoke too soon. With IPv6 disabled, my connection lasted for about 20 minutes initially, but again, it cuts off on the host for a minute or two, then is fine for another 10-20 minutes then cuts off again. I don't get it.
Zildjian26

Same here

Post by Zildjian26 »

I have the same issue when using bridge networking, the host and guest will randomly lose network connectivity. I have found that by using both the ethernet and Airport connections simultaneously, the host and guest operate normally without any interruption.
marxist

Post by marxist »

bump
marxist

Post by marxist »

activating ethernet as a 2nd nic does not solve the problem for me.

bump
lyrancorporal

Post by lyrancorporal »

I had the same problem, (Mac OS X host and Windows XP guest). Following the steps in this link solved the problem and then Airport no longer disconnected:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... ril22.mspx

Note: in step 2, the command should be
2. In the command window, type netsh bridge show a

hope this helps.
marxist

Post by marxist »

hi lyrancorporal,

thanks for your time.

maybe i am overlooking something, but how is that windows xp tip helping me with my mac os x and linux problem?

regards,
Tobias