Virtualbox guest additions problem in windows 10 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Smartninja3651

Virtualbox guest additions problem in windows 10 guest

Post by Smartninja3651 »

So, I have a windows 10 guest and I tried to install VirtualBox guest additions 7.0 which successfully installs but does not do anything for example the screen doesn't scale to my host screen and stuff like that, can someone help me?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox guest additions problem oin windows 10 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Smartninja3651

Re: Virtualbox guest additions problem in windows 10 guest

Post by Smartninja3651 »

The log file is attached
Attachments
VBlog.zip
(37.44 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Tax Shack
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Win10, Win7 & WinXP

Post by Tax Shack »

Not sure if I'm inappropriately hijacking this thread, as my Guest Additions is 6.something, but having upgraded my Win 7 VM to Win 10, my perfect display resolution has changed to where I must scroll the screen up/down left/right. What I see different is Display Adapter in Device Mgr was VBox Graphics Adapter (WDDM) and now it's MS Basic Display Adapter. Win 7 screen resolution shows 1326x647 and Win 10 shows 1024x768 Landscape. Device Mgr shows same Generic Non-PnP Monitor in both OS's.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Smartninja: in the VM display settings you should be using the VBoxSVGA adapter. Ignore all uninformed advice to the contrary.

It is completely pointless to enable 3D acceleration and then remove the accelerated graphics chipset, as you have done.
Tax Shack
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Win10, Win7 & WinXP

Post by Tax Shack »

In my post above, I guess I didn't explicitly pose a question to be solved. How do I get my Win 10 VM Device Mgr to use VBox Graphics Adapter (WDDM)? Is this a function of Guest Additions? I'm thinking this would solve my resolution problem. Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Select an appropriate graphics chipset in the VM settings - for Win10 that would be VBoxSVGA, enable 3D acceleration too. And max out the graphics RAM setting. Then install the GAs.

If you have any further questions then best start your own topic, describe the problem, and provide a zipped VM log.