VBoxSVC.log errors restarting paused snapshot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JSM09A

VBoxSVC.log errors restarting paused snapshot

Post by JSM09A »

I've noticed a large quantity of errors in VBoxSVC.log (attached) whenever I restart a previously paused VM (saved state) and subsequently discard the state and restore the previous snapshot on power down. The majority of the errors seem to be complaining that the VM is "immutable" which I believe is always the case whenever there is saved state. Are all these errors to be expected ? Thanks, !
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VBoxSVC.log errors restarting paused snapshot

Post by scottgus1 »

Though I'm not conversant with the source code so as to give explanations for these errors, it is common to have lots of errors in the VboxSVC.log. Most likely because the service is trying to do something to check on the VMs that the VM can't do just then.

The big question is: is your VM acting strangely? Or is it acting correctly? If correctly, the errors can be ignored.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the error messages of type VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE with text "The machine is not mutable" started occurring inflationary with VirtualBox 7.0, and I see them in my working setups, too. A few months ago, I consulted the VirtualBox source code, only to see that there were a lot of potential causes, so one would have to either debug VirtualBox or to experiment a lot to find the real cause. You can ignore those log messages from my POV.
JSM09A

Post by JSM09A »

Thanks for the very prompt and helpful replies. As per scottgus1's question, yes, the VM appears to be acting correctly ... so I will ignore the frequent error messages and hope for a little less "noise" in some future release.