Guest Additions Installation Failing

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
just4lynne

Post by just4lynne »

I can't even get them to INSTALL Says some thing wrong with the file . . and it was down loaded from the Virtual Box site .. Running Ubuntu 22.04 and your latest Virtual Box file down loaded from this site . . What is gong on . . Need it to run so i can make parts FOR the 3D printers . . Need to see the Shared folder Set up says it is there marked for Auto Mount and marked as Access Full Folder is there on the desktop of Ubuntu worked great under 18.04 and used the heck out of Virtual Box for years . . Ran Windows 7-1 an was happy every thing worked . . NOW VERY UN HAPPY NOTHING IS WORKING around Virtual Box . . Made me as a user of Virtual Box and made dial out okay plus a lot of other things . . Got 2 each 3D printers which want parts to make . . :? :? :?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions Installation Failing

Post by mpack »

mpack wrote: 23. Nov 2023, 13:41 Let's first establish what the GAs situation is. For that I need to see a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
just4lynne

Post by just4lynne »

Got this doing the sudo apt thing above Says the -r is something not understood ' [from -r] is not understood in combination with the other options.
jackie@jackie-OptiPlex-7010:~$
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

just4lynne, you need to post separately instead of hijacking someone else's topic. Start a new topic just for Lynne.

Also, don't just keep posting in a stream-of-consciousness manner. Read the posts since your last post.

Please provide the log Mpack is looking for.
just4lynne

Post by just4lynne »

Okay I will Windows finally let me know what the problem is
just4lynne

Guest Additions fail to install !

Post by just4lynne »

Now that I get message from windows . . Telling me why it does not work ! ! . .
Here is what windows said to me after trying all the things in the other posts under same title . .
Windows said ( used a CD and burnt the Extension Pack to it and tried to Install it that way and Windows said THIS IS A 64 BIT VERSION AN I AM A 32 BIT VERSION OF WINDOWS . . So where can I get a 32 bit version of the Extension pack for Windows 7-1 . . 64 bit will not work IN A 32 BIT VERSION OF WINDOWS . . OR A ISO version of the Extension Pack to use to install the Extension Pack
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

used a CD and burnt the Extension Pack
Do you see the disconnect? Your trying to install Guest Additions, so you get the Extension Pack... That won't work.

Extension Pack good in the Host Virtualbox. Guest Additions go in the guest.

Please see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserM ... ns-windows for installing Guest Additions in a Windows VM. If you're using official Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org the Guest Additions ISO comes bundled with Virtualbox. The manual will tell you how to load and install Guest Additions.

If the Host complains that you need to download the Guest Additions, then you're running the Linux fork of Virtualbox, not official from www.virtualbox.org . You can get the Guest Additions ISO from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
just4lynne

Post by just4lynne »

I use Linux ( Ubuntu 22.04 ) and load virtual Box to load windows 7-1 32 bit Seems the Extension pack is only for x64 . . Seen this on the CD I made of the Extension pack none of the files were for 32 bit windows . . Even Windows 7 seen on the CD there were no x32 install files on the CD .. . I can take a picture of the screen an show you
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Are you reading the replies at all? Scott just explained to you that the Extension Pack and Guest Additions are two completely different things.

And since no 32bit host has been supported for a very long time: yes, the host extension pack is 64bits only. But this is not relevant because this discussion is about the GUEST additions.