Redhat 8.10 guest erractic mouse behavior

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bennienelson

Redhat 8.10 guest erractic mouse behavior

Post by bennienelson »

This week Redhat released version 8.10 and I promptly upgraded all of my Virtualbox instances. Now the mouse pointers no longer synchronize with the contents of the screen. This is true for different apps: browser, Nautilus, Terminal.

In a browser for example, a hand image should display over clickable links. Instead, the mouse pointer synchronizes to the prior content format. So if the mouse pointer moves over clickable links and stops on static text, the hand appears over the static text instead of the arrow pointer. Conversely, moving the hand from the static text to hover over a clickable link causes the arrow pointer to appear. Likewise with text boxes: instead of the mouse cursor, the pointer matches the prior content, and the mouse cursor appears when the pointer is moved from the text box to some other content type.

Host and guest OSes: Redhat 8.10 (wayland session)
Virtualbox versions: 7.0.10 and 7.0.12
Dual monitors: 1) 3840x2160 2) 2560x1440

Mouse pointer behavior is normal in non-Redhat guests (ArcOS and Ubuntu 20_04/22_04)
Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any suggestions to resolve it other than reverting to RH 8.9?

Regards,
Bennie Nelson
bennienelson

Re: Redhat 8.10 guest erratic mouse behavior (workaround)

Post by bennienelson »

I have discovered that the mouse behavior returns to normal when I switch from wayland to X11.

Bennie Nelson