Visual bugs or low refresh rate on Linux Mint 20 and Intel processor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
arebo

Visual bugs or low refresh rate on Linux Mint 20 and Intel processor

Post by arebo »

Hello,

First time I couldn't find a solution on Google or this forum, so I'm reaching out to you (please excuse my writing, I'm using a translator).

I'm on Linux Mint 20.3 with the Openbox interface, and I'm experiencing visual glitches on the screen, as if I had a very slow screen refresh. I see lines cutting across all windows and it takes a few seconds for them to settle. For more details, I'm attaching images that show how the image becomes pixelated when there is movement.

I want to clarify that this only happens with windows that have movements (scrolling or appearing/disappearing).

This isn't something that happens with a particular VM; it occurs right from the VirtualBox manager, as you can see in the attachments. This happens on systems with Intel i7 processors (8th and 10th gen) without a separate graphics card (using integrated graphics). It only occurs with VirtualBox; any other application works fine without latency. I've also tried VMware, and it works correctly. My intention is to use VirtualBox because I feel more comfortable with it, but with this window refresh latency, it's hard to operate, especially in a production environment.
Attachments
pantalla1.jpg
pantalla1.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
pantalla2.jpg
pantalla2.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
pantalla3.jpg
pantalla3.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Re: Visual bugs or low refresh rate on Linux Mint 20 and Intel processor

Post by FranceBB »

arebo wrote: 8. Nov 2023, 19:35 Hello,
I'm on Linux Mint 20.3
I'm experiencing something similar on Fedora 39 with xorg/x11 and the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, but it doesn't happen in Wayland when running on XWayland and I can't figure out why.
Are you using x11 or Wayland?
If you are indeed using x11, I'll file a bug in the bugtracker and I'll ask you to comment on that as it would mean that we can reproduce it.
arebo

Re: Visual bugs or low refresh rate on Linux Mint 20 and Intel processor

Post by arebo »

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that I am using x11 according to this command ( echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE ), attached is a screenshot.

Also, I forgot to mention, and as seen in the screenshot, I have another test environment where the host is Windows 10 with a Ryzen 9 5900X processor. There, I set up a VM with the same conflicting operating system (Linux Mint 20.3 with Openbox), installed Virtualbox, and inside it, launched another virtual machine with Windows 10 (virtual within virtual), just to verify that I do not have any visual errors anywhere (neither in the Virtualbox manager nor within the virtual Windows 10). Therefore, I tend to think that it is not an operating system error but rather some incompatibility with the processor or the generic Intel drivers, perhaps? The information about using Wayland as a display service is helpful; I will try it out and will report back if it worked.

Sorry, but I don't have experience with bug trackers. Do you need to send me a link for me to comment on it?
Attachments
UJPXUCL.png
UJPXUCL.png (32.04 KiB) Viewed 2477 times