OS X m2/arm hardware support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
smacks

OS X m2/arm hardware support

Post by smacks »

Hello,
It's somewhat unclear whether or not m2 arm architecture is supported yet for VirtualBox.
I checked downloads and OS X daily said there is a beta version available for download which supports arm but I can't seem to find it.

I also tried compiling latest (as of this post date) from svn but it doesn't seem to take an arm architecture compile flag:

Code: Select all

$ ./configure --target-arch=arm
Checking for environment: 
  ** Cannot determine system!
code]
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: OS X m2/arm hardware support

Post by klaus »

There is very limited support in VirtualBox 7.0 (officially flagged as "developer preview"), but as there was effectively no progress within 7.0 we removed it from the usual download pages. Neither the BETA tag nor the "developer preview" declaration was taken seriously by the users, and we received endless complaints why it's not working better.

In the mean time a lot of work went into the development version, but it's also still not ready for production use. I don't think anyone adjusted the configure script yet (besides, if you have a M1/M2 system it'll default to building for this CPU architecture)...

The easiest way to get an impression what's possible right now is to get the latest development snapshot test build. I know the current state is a few weeks old. Think this will change in the next days.
smacks

Post by smacks »

Thank you Klaus! The test build for arm installs fine for my m2/Sonoma.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

@klaus Great post. Good work over the last year that I have seen.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

What OS's are you all able to run?

Please show the M# and the VM's OS, so we can update the sticky.