Windows 11 build 25987 (Canary) - VirtulaBox not working

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
jdelano

Re: Windows 11 build 25987 (Canary) - VirtulaBox not working

Post by jdelano »

Add me to the list of hacked PCs running 25987 :wink: same error. Submitting to MS as well.
skull43

Post by skull43 »

same here
Thibi_99

Post by Thibi_99 »

Same here. Rolling back from 25987 to 1353 seems to have resolved the issue.

Glad the fix was this easy, I am a student applied information science having exams this week.
Not being able to use my virtual lab environments would have been a real bummer :D
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I'm not sure whether anyone is expecting any responses/solutions to the problems experienced with VMs built using Windows Insider builds, but it may be worth a reminder that the VirtualBox User Manual explicitly states that Windows 10 and 11 Insider Preview Builds are not supported.

Although Forum reports and the comparison/verification of user experience may be of interest to users of these builds, the VirtualBox Development Team is probably unlikely to ever have the resource that would be needed to explore compatibility issues which are specific to the use of pre-release builds of Windows (or any other OS).

Also this quote from Microsoft (emphasis mine):

"The Canary Channel is the place to preview platform changes that require longer-lead time before getting released to customers. Some examples of this include major changes to the Windows kernel, new APIs, etc. Builds that we release to the Canary Channel should not be seen as matched to any specific release of Windows and some of the changes we try out in the Canary Channel will never ship, and others could show up in future Windows releases when they’re ready."

From: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insid ... y-channel/

makes it clear why third-party software developers 'chasing' early issues specific to 'alpha/beta' changes, which Microsoft considers experimental and also admit may never reach production, would be a poor use of scarce resources.

Sorry, if my opinions seem negative but, if Windows Insider Builds happen work on VirtualBox that should probably be considered a bonus; and a situation which is likely to alter at any time, depending on Microsoft's approach to implementing/testing changes.
ci4ic4
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, OpenSolaris

Post by ci4ic4 »

Same here, to add to the case log. Using the same W11 canary build.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I think we probably have enough "me too" reports now guys. Especially since I don't see any diagnostic info being provided.

Locking this.