Help!! Windows XP limited wifi!!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
goobingly

Help!! Windows XP limited wifi!!

Post by goobingly »

So, I have a 32 bit windows xp pro vm on virtualbox, and for some reason i have "limited connection". Let me explain. The browser on my vm works, but applications that require wifi (e.g. downloading winzip, or setting up net 3.5) dont work. It's not because they're old or anything else, it's because they require a connection, but I could be wrong. Please help, if you can. :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Help!! Windows XP limited wifi!!

Post by scottgus1 »

goobingly

Post by goobingly »

Sorry, that didnt help. What I mean is, apps that require a connection dont work, but my browser (mypal) works. I need help. (I use a windows xp 32-bit)
(P.S. It says i have "limited or no connectivity").

(Double P.S. Incase you wanted to know, "/ping 1.1.1.1" says:
Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0 <0% loss>
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum=19ms, Maximum=24ms, Average=21ms
Last edited by goobingly on 5. Nov 2023, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

goobingly wrote: 5. Nov 2023, 20:22 Sorry, that didnt help.
It wasn't supposed to help. What it says is, you're screwed. XP is too old and it can't support modern internet anymore.

The successful ping says the Virtualbox network is working and you have internet in the VM. But "limited or no connectivity" means that useful internet communication cannot take place anymore, due to the reasons stated in the tutorial.

Download needed software from the host then use a Virtualbox shared folder to copy the software into the VM. You may need to use older Guest Additions in the XP VM. Some of the newer Guest Additions have been having security certificate troubles. I believe 7.0.6 Guest Additions work well for XP: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso
goobingly wrote: 5. Nov 2023, 20:10 applications that require wifi
Wi-Fi will never appear in the VM, because all of Virtualbox's network cards are wired Ethernet. What I suspect you mean is:
goobingly wrote: 5. Nov 2023, 20:10 applications that require an internet connection
which you can no longer get in XP. Modern internet has moved on.
goobingly

Post by goobingly »

yeah, sorry. I should've figured that out lol. Thanks for the help, though.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hey, glad to try to help. FWIW, apparently one may still be able to pick up licenses of Windows 7 with a product key on Ebay. 7 still has internet connectivity.
goobingly

Post by goobingly »

Another question; I dont know if I have to make a new forum for this, but it's a pretty unimportant question; how do I turn back on the animated character on search? (Windows XP)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Technically, that would be a new topic, but it's off-topic for the Virtualbox forum: how to use an OS is not something we cover here. It should be possible to web-search that information.