"The virtual machine failed to boot..." error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Andy Nagel

"The virtual machine failed to boot..." error

Post by Andy Nagel »

Hi,

I work for Oracle and have Mac with Ventura 13.5.2. I used VBox with Windows 11 22H1 and had to upgrade to 22H2. Because upgrade didn't work, I started a fresh install of VBox 7.0.10 r158379 (Qt5.15.2) and Win11 22H2 (w11p64-11.1.02.1b.iso). However, VBox can't boot from this iso, no matter what boot sequence I select. What can be wrong?
Attachments
vmbooterror2.jpg
vmbooterror2.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: "The virtual machine failed to boot..." error

Post by mpack »

The usual reason for failure to boot from an ISO is that the ISO was never bootable. Make sure it contains a bootable installer and not a couple of setup files intended to be burned to a USB stick.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Another idea is that your screenshot shows that you did not press any key to boot from the CD or DVD.

The five periods ..... show the 5 seconds the ISO's boot loader waits for you to press a key. If you press a key before the 5th . appears, the boot loader will boot from the ISO. If you don't press a key in time, the boot loader will time out and let the computer fall back to other boot sources, of which there apparently aren't any at this time.

Try again, and press a key before the 5th . appears.
Andy Nagel

Post by Andy Nagel »

Problem was that EFI was enabled
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 11 installs on EFI.

With EFI enabled, you'd have to get to the EFI shell to type "exit", which then loads the EFI boot menu, where you can pick the CD-ROM drive with the ISO in it. This process is required to boot from ISO on a VM that already had an OS in it.

A fresh new EFI VM with the ISO already inserted into the Optical Drive in the VM's Storage settings before staring for the first time should boot automatically from the ISO without needing to press any keys.

The screenshot says "Press any key to enter the Boot Manager menu". Did you do that? Did you select the ISO in the popup box presented? Did you put the ISO in the VM's Optical drive in Storage before starting the VM?