HOWTO Windows 7 Build 7000 Networking and Guest Additions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
reidi

HOWTO Windows 7 Build 7000 Networking and Guest Additions

Post by reidi »

Updated: 01112009
This is a clarification and compilation of a number of existing posts. This is for 32-bit Linux Hosts - Ubuntu 8.10 in my case. [EDIT: I'm currently using VirtualBox 2.0.6]

For Windows 7, you have to install networking and Guest additions manually (again, I'm using VirtualBox 2.0.6)
- DO NOT just click "Devices/Install Guest Additions" in your VM window - this will not work.
- Selecting "Windows Vista" as your "OS Type" when you first create your VM will NOT allow you to install the Guest Additions. Follow the instructions below carefully.

(1) In your WIndows 7 VM window, click Devices/Mount CD/DVD-ROM, and browse to, highlight and select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

(2) Set up Networking: Get to the Device Manager in Windows 7, right-click on the broken network device in "Other devices", select "Update Driver Software". In the dialog, browse to the mounted CD/DVD-ROM drive, probably D:, highlight the 32-bit folder and click OK. Click Next. The driver should install.

(3) Guest additions: Use Windows Explorer to browse to the mounted CD/DVD-ROM drive.
a) RIght-click on VBoxWIndowsAdditions.exe.
b) Select Properties.
c) Select the Compatibility tab
d) Check "Run this program in compatibilty mode for:"
e) Select Windows Vista in the dropdown.
f) Click OK.
Repeat a-f above for VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe
In Windows Explorer, double-click VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe.
Guest Additions should install properly.

EDIT: I got audio working by letting Windows Update install the correct driver. Audio is scratchy and choppy though.
Last edited by reidi on 12. Jan 2009, 01:09, edited 3 times in total.
Osiris19

Post by Osiris19 »

So wait, Guest Additions are confirmed for Windows 7?
carnellm

Post by carnellm »

Off to try the Guest Additions now...
Palmettobug Digital - http://www.palmettobug.com
Technology Empowering People
Osiris19

Post by Osiris19 »

Me too... I want my screen resolution.
carnellm

Post by carnellm »

So far I am just getting an unsupported error during install.
Palmettobug Digital - http://www.palmettobug.com
Technology Empowering People
Osiris19

Post by Osiris19 »

VirtualBox crashed. Weird. It caused Explorer to clog up and die and I couldn't get out of it without the help of TaskMgr.
Osiris19

Post by Osiris19 »

Yeah, I keep geting that error.
reidi

Post by reidi »

carnellm wrote:So far I am just getting an unsupported error during install.
I got that error until I followed the procedure in step 3 of the original post. You <must> specify VIsta compatibility mode as outlined above. Choosing "Windows Vista" when you first set up your VM has no useful effect.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I had the same error installing VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe, but when I did the VBoxWindowsAddtions-x86.exe all went fine. :D
Osiris19

Post by Osiris19 »

I ran VBoxGuestAdditions-x86.exe and I got the error, but it kept installing for about 2 seconds and in the output box, it said Installation complete.
 Edit:  I still can't get my 1440x900 screen resolution. 
victorav

Post by victorav »

compatibility option, as stated above, was selected for both VBoxGuestAdditions-x86.exe and VBoxGuestAdditions.exe, then I ran VBoxGuestAdditions.exe. This seems to work. Without VBoxGuestAdditions0x86 selected, it did not work.

Using:
Ubuntu 8.1, VBOX 2.1
1.8 Ghz Centrino
2GB RAM
1GB RAM for VBOX
8GB HHD for Windows
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

64-bit build 7000 worked fine for me with vbox 2.1.0 and fedora10/64-bit host. i/o apic had to be enabled for it to even boot the installer.

i didn't have network problems, but then i selected e1000 as the card to use, not pcnet3.

guest additions installed with compatibility mode enabled, graphics resizing works fine. sound doesn't work, sb16 isn't even detected and it doesn't seem to like the ac97 driver.

3d acceleration didn't seem to make any difference to performance.

not much seems to have changed since build 6801, still looks like vista (or kde on linux!) just made more complicated.

where's this much-vaulted sidebar, or do we need better gfx support for that?

i just don't see how people can get excited about new versions of windows.
Osiris19

Post by Osiris19 »

I just for some reason cannot get them to install properly.
Pontiac

Post by Pontiac »

Works for me with all steps as indicated by OP.

Using XP host to run Win 7 guest. At install of Win7 right from the ISO, I used the OS type OTHER WINDOWS (Not Windows Vista as I was experiencing crashes with VB) gave her 512meg of memory. I'm using VB 2.1.0. With the instructions above, all installed perfectly, other than I still get a 1.0 rating for video, although compared to without the Guest Additions, this is running MUCH more smoothly.

At install, by default, the Intel network driver was selected, so it installed at first go.

Next step is to install Win7 on true metal and see how well VB works with it. ;)
Krotow

Post by Krotow »

Was tested under openSUSE 11.0 / VirtualBox 2.1.0. Status - working.

Host: P4-3GHz, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 7600 GT (PCI-X)
Guest: 512 MB RAM, 32 MB Video RAM

Repeat all steps from first post, including compatibility mode for Windows Vista. Then reboot.

Video resolution adaptation to window size, Seamless mode and sound is functional and now working without problems.

Still figure, how to enable 3D video mode :)