Can i improve Virtualbox while hyper-v has to be enabled?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
hewking

Can i improve Virtualbox while hyper-v has to be enabled?

Post by hewking »

hi All
I have to keep hyper-v enabled on windows 11 pro PC but also really like virtualbox.
In general virtualbox runs pretty well even thou i have green turtle displayed at the bottom.
I was wondering if there are any tips to boost virtualbox while hyper-v enabled.

In general does virtualbox have to use hyper-v engine for virtualisation instead of its own - is it called paravirtualisation?
I do get odd freezes during restart at booting stage - i have to shutdown virtualbox and restart which usually works ok.

Does forcing shutdown signal degrades somehow Virtualbox VM?

Regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can i improve Virtualbox while hyper-v has to be enabled?

Post by scottgus1 »

hewking wrote: 25. Oct 2023, 12:56 I was wondering if there are any tips to boost virtualbox while hyper-v enabled.
Anything that makes a VM run better without Hyper-V will make it run better with Hyper-V. Don't ask for more RAM than the host has available, don't use more processors than necessary for the VM's tasks (2 is a good place to start unless you're installing 3rd-party multi-processor-aware apps in the VM). Try to put the VM on an SSD instead of a platter drive.
hewking wrote: 25. Oct 2023, 12:56 In general does virtualbox have to use hyper-v engine for virtualisation instead of its own
If host Hyper-V is enabled, Virtualbox must use Hyper-V's engine.
hewking wrote: 25. Oct 2023, 12:56 is it called paravirtualisation?
No. 'Paravirtualization Interface' is a comm channel for virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor is running them, so they can run more efficiently. Setting this to Hyper-V does not turn on the host OS's Hyper-V. You should leave this setting at Default.
hewking wrote: 25. Oct 2023, 12:56 Does forcing shutdown signal degrades somehow Virtualbox VM?
In the same way that pulling the power on a running PC can damage the OS.
hewking wrote: 25. Oct 2023, 12:56 I do get odd freezes during restart at booting stage - i have to shutdown virtualbox and restart which usually works ok.
Start a new topic when this happens and we'll see what can be done.
hewking

Post by hewking »

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.
hewking

Post by hewking »

how big is hyper-v impact on performance ?
would you estimate is as greater than 20-30 percent?
Regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sometimes it's 100%. More usually it will be something in between, and is highly specific to your exact scenario.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the performance impact is expected to be relatively small on CPU-bound loads, but much larger on I/O-bound loads.