Can't RDP nor VNC to Windows 10 guest when 3D acceleration is enabled

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
quanticchaos

Can't RDP nor VNC to Windows 10 guest when 3D acceleration is enabled

Post by quanticchaos »

Hello. I recently installed Kubuntu 23.10 on a NAS server that use to have ubuntu server 20.04 and had to update to Virtualbox 7.
I use to have a running Windows 10 in this server to use some programs via RDP.
With Virtualbox 6, I had zero problems and almost every program that needed 3D acceleration worked via RDP but, with version 7, when I enable it, I only get a black screen via RDP or VNC and a disconnection even though the machine works great using it from the host machine. This occurs trying from Linux (with remmina) and Windows (with remote desktop client) and also happens when trying to connect through VNC.
The Windows guest is a fresh install of windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 19044.3570
I googled a little and found this was caused by some video incompatibiliy. Is there a way to fix this? I have some programs that need the acceleration to even start.
Thank you very much.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't RDP nor VNC to Windows 10 guest when 3D acceleration is enabled

Post by mpack »

Why enable 3D acceleration when you're using RDP? It only makes sense with physical hardware to do the accelerating.

Also, don't talk about RDP and VNC together, they use complete different technologies: the former is a graphics protocol, the latter is a dumb screen scraper.

Ending up with a black screen would be no surprise with a screen scraper, since it's scraping the PC screen but everything actually happens inside the graphics card when acceleration is used. I'd be more surprised if you had the same effect with RDP, Windows PC (or VM), and a decent RDP client, i.e. the official MS one.
Last edited by mpack on 24. Oct 2023, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix typo.
quanticchaos

Post by quanticchaos »

Ok, I know you are a moderator but why are you asking why I need to use RDP? Because I NEED TO. Do I have to explain you the reasons? The thing is that programs that worked in Virtualbox 6, saw the acceleration, WORKED, and I WAS ABLE TO WORK WITH THEM remotely even outside my home and in Virtualbox 7 I can't even log into the machine after enabling it. I installed a VNC server to see if that method of remote connection worked and THE SAME THING HAPPENS. Your answer is completely useless and I wonder why people like you moderate this forum.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

quanticchaos, I'll just point one little thing out: Mpack did not ask you why you're using RDP. He asked you:
mpack wrote: 24. Oct 2023, 11:13 Why enable 3D acceleration when you're using RDP?
That's an entirely different question.

So you misread his post. Your response is way out of line. And this:
quanticchaos wrote: 24. Oct 2023, 12:48 I wonder why people like you moderate this forum.
borders or crosses into personal attack, which is a serious forum breach and ban-worthy.

A big heartfelt apology is in order.
quanticchaos

Post by quanticchaos »

My most sincere apologies.
I've been using VBox and remote servers for years and never had to personally ask a question in this forum before since most of the times I find the answers to my questions just by googleing a bit.
I'm almost 50 and learned to program basic since I got my commodore 64 back in the day when I was a kid so being treated like a fool and question the reasons why I need to work this way was not what I was expecting to get in here (and of course not from a person who is supposed to help). Anyway, guess I'll go back to V6. Thank you very much.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

quanticchaos wrote: 24. Oct 2023, 13:46 being treated like a fool and question the reasons why I need to work this way was not what I was expecting to get
Nor was it what you got. You were asked a decent diagnostic question. You misinterpreted the question.
quanticchaos wrote: 24. Oct 2023, 13:46 I'm almost 50 and learned to program basic since I got my commodore 64 back in the day when I was a kid
I'm almost 53 and learned BASIC on a Commodore PET with no tape storage. Age and computer background does not justify failing to comprehend what is written to one and getting inappropriately offended in response.

Topic locked for personal attack, not accepting responsibility for said attack, and continuing to claim Mpack was doing what he did not do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just FYI, I am comfortably older than the OP. My experience goes way further back than the C64. But thanks for assuming I'm some rude young tyke! :)

Maybe pay attention more, make bad assumptions less?