VBoxNetAdpCtl crash with SIP partially disabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

VBoxNetAdpCtl crash with SIP partially disabled

Post by granada29 »

After installing macOS Sonoma via OCLP on an external drive, SIP is partially disabled resulting in VBoxNetAdpCtl crashing when VirtualBox Manager is started. The problem persists when rebooting back to macOS Ventura, with the OCLP drive removed from the system.

The obvious workaround is to re-enable SIP before booting in Ventura but those who have done this know that it is a real pain to boot into recovery to make the change, only to have it all undone the next time the machine is rebooted using OCLP.

I have filed a bugreport at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21882 detailing the issue and have also included a workaround (possible fix) that is effective in both Ventura and Somoma (OCLP).
multiOS
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: VBoxNetAdpCtl crash with SIP partially disabled

Post by multiOS »

Just a general comment/question.

Whilst I'm no great fan of Apple's practice of making it's proprietary and perfectly useable hardware redundant before its time; or the rapidly approaching end of life support for all Intel based Apple systems, I do recognise that the OCLP (hackintosh) software is entirely concerned with installing/running 'newer' versions of macOS on older Intel hardware configurations that are no longer supported by Apple. Therefore, is the identified 'issue' truly a VirtualBox 'bug' that should be fixed to support VirtualBox use on authorised/supported Apple hardware/OS configurations; or simply a change that is only required to enable OCLP users to run VirtualBox on non-compliant configurations, entirely due to the requirements and limitations of the OCLP software?
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

OCLP is a bit of a red-herring I think. It modified the SIP settings but is no longer present (drive physically removed) when the machine is booted from an unmodified (apart from SIP) Ventura disk. There may be many reasons for a user wanting to modify SIP on their machine which have nothing to do with OCLP.

It is the SIP settings causing the crash in VBoxNetAdpCtl - the workaround is to fix the @rpath setting.
multiOS
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@granada29,

Thanks for the further info.

It was only the mention of OCLP that threw me, as it implies the use of an unsupported hardware/OS config.; and I am aware that the devs. of at least one of the other (non-Oracle) virtualisation apps have advised that they will not action any user reported 'problem' reports that relate to the use of a Mac hardware/OS configuration that is not supported by Apple.