USB cable/device not detected...usually

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
PDA1

USB cable/device not detected...usually

Post by PDA1 »

From Debian 11 I'm running VB 7.0 Windows 10.

Within Windows I'm trying to run a program called VE Configurator for Solar inverter configuration.

There's a necessary cable with a device on it connected to the Inverter that gets plugged into my computer running Windows in VB. However, the cable/device is not reliably detected by Windows. Sometimes, very rarely, it is detected and I can run the VE Configurator program reliably. Most of the time Windows doesn't detect the cable/device.

That said, a USB stick drive is recognized and usable once I plug it in but not the wretched cable gadget.

Some setting in VB settings page has the USB stuff and I've selected Com 3 (or some sort of stuff like that) but have no idea what to do beyond that.

I've read some of the "how to's" but they're so confusing to a dunce like me.

Anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thank you,

Craig
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB cable/device not detected...usually

Post by mpack »

The VM doesn't usually need to own USB drives. Let the host own the drive, access it as a shared folder.

You don't say what the other device is. If it presents to the PC as a serial device then you can access it through a virtual serial port. If you insist on the VM owning the USB device then you may need to find all install guest-OS compatible drivers for it.

Also note that USB devices can't be shared, so if you already accessed the device on the host, that'd be a reason why the VM struggles to see it.