I don't want a keyboard

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sysopch

I don't want a keyboard

Post by sysopch »

Hi all,
I am new to the forum.
I need to simulate a device which has a touch screen but no keyboard, sort of a kiosk.

The guest OS is Windows 10 IoT and I want the system to automatically open the virtual keyboard whenever the user accesses an input field. The OS+application image loaded on the target device exhibits this behavior. The VM with the same image (.win image flashed with WinPE, for what matters) does not open the virtual keyboard.

I thought I just had to disable the embedded PS/2 keyboard in VirtualBox... but I could not find a way to do this.

I am sure I am not the first one to try such a thing, but I was not able to find anything in the forums, I only find posts about screen+keyboard capuring, which is not what I need.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Aldo
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I don't want a keyboard

Post by scottgus1 »

There appears to be no control over the virtual keyboard presented in either the main Virtualbox window or Vboxmanage commands. It does not appear that there is any way to get rid of it.

You can search the manual PDF https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf for "keyboard" to see if anything pertinent shows up.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

It's apparently not documented in the VirtualBox 7.0 User Manual, but you can use VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --keyboard none to not provide a keyboard to the VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ha! Thanks, fth0, I did not know about that!
sysopch

Post by sysopch »

Thanks for the replies
fth0 wrote: 14. Oct 2023, 03:22 It's apparently not documented in the VirtualBox 7.0 User Manual, but you can use VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --keyboard none to not provide a keyboard to the VM.
This partially worked: I get no keystrokes from the standard keyboard and I get them if I connect a USB one.
However it did not trigger the opening of the virtual keyboard. Also, in device manager, I keep seeing the PS/2 keyboard and the device is reported as working. So I guess the keyboard is still emulated and "present" in the system, even if it is not able to generate keyboard input