Critical error occurs when I try to start Ubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BENCHMARKS

Critical error occurs when I try to start Ubuntu

Post by BENCHMARKS »

Hi, I installed Virtual box and attempted to start Xubuntu when I click the option to try or Install Xubuntu a pop-up comes up telling me that a critical error occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app but this did not solve the issue.
Additionally, as I am downloading this to start my process of learning to code, I am not entirely sure how anything really works. I tried to attach the log as is, however, the file was too big so I zipped it, hopefully, that is okay. I read through other posts and saw that the version of the VM and virtual box they are using is commonly mentioned so I will do so in case this may help to solve my issue. I am using Xubuntu 22.04.3 and VirtualBox 7.0.8.
Logs.zip
(54.5 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Critical error occurs when I try to start Ubuntu

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "MacOS Hosts".

You can't run a modern Intel OS on an ARM processor such as your Apple M1/M2. Those processors can't execute Intel x86 code.

VirtualBox does include an Intel simulator, a very different (MUCH slower) beast than a hypervisor, but again that is not suitable for a modern OS. The biggest success claim we've had so far is that someone got XP running on one core only - but I have my doubts about the long term utility of even that. People tend to want to do actual work on the OS's they install.

Executive summary: on ARM processors, stick to ARM coded OS's - but note that VirtualBox is not currently an ARM hypervisor. If you want to run Intel OS's, buy a PC.