Windows 11 guest - thrashing the harddrive

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
virtualhuman

Windows 11 guest - thrashing the harddrive

Post by virtualhuman »

Hello everyone!

I've installed Windows 11 as a guest VM, with i7 with 6 codes and 8GB of ram, just to run a few Windows apps like AnyDesk.

Unfortunately, Windows 11 appear to run rather slowly because it consumes enormous amounts of time reading/writing to the harddisk for no apparent reason. Its a clean install, boots to desktop fine, but the harddisk keeps on thrashing for many hours, for no apparent reason. It does seem to install a bunch of Windows Updates.

Still, Windows 11 appear to run very very slowly. Even opening a folder takes 20 seconds or so.

Is this expected behaviour?

PS:
My Windows 10 VM with the same resources runs awesomely without any problems, boots in seconds and has no problems with the harddrive.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 11 guest - thrashing the harddrive

Post by mpack »

You should really know by now that you need to post a zipped VM log if you ask questions like that.

Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
virtualhuman

Post by virtualhuman »

ah I didn't expect to debug this issue, just asking casually if anyone else has seen a similar situation.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, in answer to your question the behaviour you describe is only expected if you have Hyper-v enabled on the same PC, or have configured the VM poorly somehow. Both require a log for proper diagnosis and fix.