A Windows VM crashes when starting a group

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
D. Bugger
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows10, Windows7, Win98, Suze, CentOS, Ubuntu

A Windows VM crashes when starting a group

Post by D. Bugger »

Hi,

This is mostly for the developers... who are doing a great job by the way!

My host system is Ubuntu Linux 22.04 LTS, ample disk and memory, with VirtualBox 7, all regularly updated. Sometimes, when I start a group of VMs (two Windows-10 systems in my case), one of them crashes, for reasons unknown to me. I sent the crash report back, to Ubuntu (I assume). When I start the crashed VM again, or when I start VMs one by one, all is fine.

That's all folks!

DB
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: A Windows VM crashes when starting a group

Post by scottgus1 »

We had another report where starting two VMs at the same time had a crash in one of them. Delaying one VM's start until the other was up and running was the workaround. We didn't determine why the problem happened. I surmised that something Virtualbox needed to start a VM couldn't run twice at the same time.

But if starting a group has this error, the devs should hear of it. Please post this in a Bugtracker ticket. Maybe the crashed VM's vbox.log and the main VboxSVC.log, zipped, might help them too.
D. Bugger
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows10, Windows7, Win98, Suze, CentOS, Ubuntu

Post by D. Bugger »

I'll report it properly, when it happens again (like this morning).
By the way, there's no such thing as an automatic delay, configurable somewhere, I suppose? No need to reply if there isn't...

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

No automatic delay, no. But you can write a script with Vboxmanage commands to start each VM with a pause between, then use the script to start the group instead of the main Virtualbox window.