Problems installing NT4 on 1.5.0

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
igoddard

Problems installing NT4 on 1.5.0

Post by igoddard »

I've just installed VB 1.5.0 and set up an NT4 sp6a guest. On logon I'm told that the video adapter is missing or can't work and that I'm being reverted to VGA. If I try to set up the adapter using "detect" VGA is what's detected but the next logon has the same result. Attempting to install the guest additions results in the system looping through the install procedure twice with most (?everything) being skipped both times. Cursor integration is installed but the video problem remains.

Also, although I can get out to the internet I can't see my local NAS box on the workgroup.

Host is Ubuntu 6.06 on a Core2 Duo laptop with Intel graphics.

I've seen other problems mentioned with 1.5.0. Would it be best to junk it (along with a day's work trying to get it all working) and load 1.4.0 or are there fixes available?

Regards

Ian Goddard
LFS-Nr-3305
Volunteer

Post by LFS-Nr-3305 »

If you were willing to spend a day's work, why not invest some 20 Euro or what it's worth in your country and get a Windows 2000 from Ebay?
It is in the docs that Win98 and NT 4 are not supported very good by Innotec. Starting with Windows 2000 (=NT5.1), everything is said to run. With me (Kubuntu 7.04 and Win2000) it works like a charm: USB scanner, USB sticks, Windows accounting software, Adobe GoLive CS2, everything :-).
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

LFS-Nr-3305 wrote:If you were willing to spend a day's work, why not invest some 20 Euro or what it's worth in your country and get a Windows 2000 from Ebay?
It is in the docs that Win98 and NT 4 are not supported very good by Innotec. Starting with Windows 2000 (=NT5.1), everything is said to run. With me (Kubuntu 7.04 and Win2000) it works like a charm: USB scanner, USB sticks, Windows accounting software, Adobe GoLive CS2, everything :-).
1. Assumes a fact not in evidence as Perry Mason used to say. "Willing" As with so much else IT-wise I got suckered in one step at a time.

2. Have you looked at the W2K market on ebay recently? It's pretty small. At best it was apt to offer OEM discs with no CoA or key or a disc which would only boot on some particular brand - been there, done that.

I've tested NT4 to W2K upgrade but as this used an existing key it wouldn't be legit to keep it (galling as this laptop had windows tax paid on it for Vista whether I wanted it or not). The display problems seem OK but I still can't see the NAS box.

Ian
igoddard

Problems installing NT4 on 1.5.0 - Workaround

Post by igoddard »

I uninstalled 1.5 and installed 1.4. I couldn't get a satisfactory install in 1.4 either but I saved the additions ISO, updated to 1.5, installed NT, then installed sp6a, mounted the 1.4 additions ISO and installed the display driver from that.

It still puts up the display control panel on every boot but without error message and has a wide selection of modes with full colour.

I still can't see any other computers in the workgroup but by putting the NAS address into hosts I can mount the remote share by name.

It's still less stable than I'd like but I've installed Delphi 7 which was the main objective. It remains to be seen if it's usable in the longer term.

Ian