Official Support for Ventura

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MorseCode65

Official Support for Ventura

Post by MorseCode65 »

Is Ventura formally supported by VirtualBox 7.0.x? The User Manual does not list Ventura (see below). I have a production VM Guest that cannot be down while I debug and/or revert back.

What about Sonoma?

macOS hosts (64-bit):
  • 10.15 (Catalina)
  • 11 (Big Sur)
  • 12 (Monterey)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Official Support for Ventura

Post by scottgus1 »

I would not put production VMs under Ventura or 7.0 yet, and most absolutely definitely not on an M1/M2/M# Mac.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01. ... tossupport does not list Ventura yet. If Sonoma is newer than Ventura, then Sonoma not yet either.

Ventura imposed some new restrictions regarding kexts (namely, not using them at all) which has required the Virtualbox devs to work around the things kexts used to allow Virtualbox to do, and some of them aren't worked around yet. Apple & the devs are working together, but the end is not in sight yet.

Additionally, Ventura imposed Apple's built-in hypervisor, same as Microsoft's Hyper-V, which means you'll get the dreaded green turtle in Ventura-hosted VMs, and the slowness thereby implied. Unlike Hyper-V, however, you can't turn Ventura's hypervisor off then run Virtualbox natively.

Testing on Ventura with copies of your VMs is surely encouraged, but VMs that must stay running should stay on earlier Mac OS's & 6.1.

M# Macs will have problems running any but the oldest Windows & Linux OS's, please see M1/M2 Mac 7.0 Beta Status.
MorseCode65

Re: Official Support for Ventura

Post by MorseCode65 »

Thank You! I have an Intel Mac that runs [mostly] great with VBox 6.1 with Ubuntu 20.04.6 VMs.

I will keep the config until an upgrade is officially supported.