Cannot install W10 22H2 (graphical issue?)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
omaggi

Cannot install W10 22H2 (graphical issue?)

Post by omaggi »

Hi everybody, I'm trying to install a Windows 10 22H2 guest on a Debian 12 OS.
I give the normal settings (4096MB Ram, 2vCPU, 128MB Display, 40GB Storage, NAT Connections) and when I start the installation, after few seconds I have a weard graphical problem (see attach).

I tried few times (also with differents iso from W10), but I have always the same issue.
The Debian OS is a fresh installation and in my old one, I haven't any issue and I coud install W10 without problems. The configuration of Debian is the same and the virtualisation is enable in BIOS (VT-x).

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Thx in advance, I appreciate a lot, cheers omaggi
Attachments
w10_vm_error.png
w10_vm_error.png (99 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot install W10 22H2 (graphical issue?)

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
omaggi

Post by omaggi »

Thx for your answer @mpack. Here the logfile
Attachments
w10-2023-09-22-15-54-31.zip
(30.48 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I've seen this corruption before, unfortunately I can't think of any keywords that might find it (*).

In the meantime, what graphics mode are you using on the host? I'm looking for you to confirm that you are using a 32bpp graphics mode on the host, to match what will most likely end up being selected in the VM.

And, I'm looking for you to confirm that you are indeed using a GUI in the host, as otherwise you can't have one in the guest, at least not using a simulated VirtualBox graphics card.

And is this host using Wayland?

(*) Snipping out the colorful checkerboard pattern and using it in Google Image Search does turn up a lot of hits, however I find many very different theories as to the cause, and none of them applies to you - you don't have the settings errors suggested. So I guess we'll just continue to make our own way.
Last edited by mpack on 22. Sep 2023, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote: 22. Sep 2023, 19:39 I've seen this corruption before, unfortunately I can't think of any keywords that might find it
I've seen this green checkerboard pattern in the past, too. There were a few reports from users who had Intel Power Gadget installed, and uninstalling that helped the users who reported back.