Really weird: W7 VM boots fine in VBox but crashes as VM in Hyper-V

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
stepgilb

Really weird: W7 VM boots fine in VBox but crashes as VM in Hyper-V

Post by stepgilb »

Greetings commuity!

I created a vhd from a Windows 7 computer and created a VM using the latest Virtualbox version: the VM boots and runs fine. Creating A VM with the sam vhd on Hyper-V brings back the original problem when I first tried to clone the system onto a new harddrive (using EaseUS): the VM (or clone) crashes on loading classpnp.sys (BSOD). Has Virtualbox a "classpnp.sys"prevention built in? Thank for yor time!

SG
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Really weird: W7 VM boots fine in VBox but crashes as VM in Hyper-V

Post by mpack »

I don't understand your question. You seem to be saying that VirtualBox works fine? But you want our help with Hyper-v? Here on a VirtualBox forum?

I'm afraid that isn't how it works. Our skills lie in knowing how to fault find in VirtualBox using logs etc. Finding a non-fault... would be tricky.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

stepgilb wrote: 21. Sep 2023, 17:36 Has Virtualbox a "classpnp.sys"prevention built in?
The only OS .sys's I have ever heard Virtualbox having a problem with during a P2V are agp440.sys & intelppm.sys from the old Migrating tutorial.

You'd have to peruse the Virtualbox source code to see if "classpnp.sys" is handled specially.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: 21. Sep 2023, 19:03 The only OS .sys's I have ever heard Virtualbox having a problem with during a P2V are agp440.sys
Note that he seems to be saying that VirtualBox does not have a problem, but Hyper-v does.
stepgilb

Post by stepgilb »

Thank you for your input! I posted this message to possibly find someone who noticed the same phenomenon. Clearly Virtualbox does something to avoid BSOD on a classpnp.sys crash.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It is also entirely possible that Virtualbox does nothing about classpnp.sys, and Hyper-V has a bug.
scottgus1 wrote: 21. Sep 2023, 19:03 You'd have to peruse the Virtualbox source code to see if "classpnp.sys" is handled specially.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

stepgilb wrote: 22. Sep 2023, 13:23 Clearly Virtualbox does something to avoid BSOD on a classpnp.sys crash.
That isn't so clear to me. I don't know of any mechanism that VirtualBox could use to interfere with guest code in that way, and in any case it isn't VirtualBox's job to stop guest code crashing if it wants to. It's an execution path, as valid as any other.

More likely is (a) that the VMs are configured differently, or (b) that the affected feature simply doesn't exist in a VirtualBox VM. But without having detailed knowledge of the crash I don't see this speculation being useful.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote: 21. Sep 2023, 19:03 You'd have to peruse the Virtualbox source code to see if "classpnp.sys" is handled specially.
FWIW, the string "classpnp" is not part of the (publicly available) VirtualBox source code.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote: 22. Sep 2023, 14:13 FWIW, the string "classpnp" is not part of the (publicly available) VirtualBox source code.
I'd be surprised if the OP installed the GAs, so I doubt that any VirtualBox code is involved.
stepgilb

Post by stepgilb »

scottgus1 wrote: 22. Sep 2023, 13:54 It is also entirely possible that Virtualbox does nothing about classpnp.sys, and Hyper-V has a bug.
As I mentioned in my first post, the classpnp.sys crash happens also on a cloned hardisk and physical machine, not only on Hyper-V.
The original PC features a small RAID 1 SATA card - transparent to the OS, it's driver is probably the reason for the BSOD.