Windows 11 guest is very slow and freezes running Virtualbox with unsupported Xeon v3

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Jakey
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows 11

Windows 11 guest is very slow and freezes running Virtualbox with unsupported Xeon v3

Post by Jakey »

Hello,

my Windows 11 guest on Ubuntu 22.04 is very slow and always crashes sooner or later. It just freezes. The host CPU is a Xeon v3, which is no longer supported by Windows 11. VMM load is constantly around 80.

Is it possible to make any settings in the Virtualbox host application to hide the processor from the Windows 11 guest?

I am very grateful for any advice.

Thanks very much
Jakey
Attachments
2023-07-12 00-38-02.png
2023-07-12 00-38-02.png (112.74 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 11 guest is very slow and freezes running Virtualbox with unsupported Xeon v3

Post by mpack »

To have a useful discussion we'll need to see a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Jakey

Re: Windows 11 guest is very slow and freezes running Virtualbox with unsupported Xeon v3

Post by Jakey »

Thank you for your answer. Here is the VBox.log.
Attachments
VBoxLog.zip
(48.32 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You are overcommitting CPU cores. Dedicating 4 cores to the VM leaves 0 cores for the host. Try reducing the VM allocation to 2 cores.

Also, I suggest enabling 3D acceleration. FullHD+ graphics really needs hardware help.
Jakey

Post by Jakey »

I reduced the VM allocation to 2 cores. If I enable 3D acceleration, the guest can't display some apps like Settings and have graphic glitches in some other apps (can't display buttons etc.).

I think it's a little bit better with version 7.0.10 than 7.0.8. No crashes so far. But I can't enable 3D acceleration because of the glitches.

Thank you very much. Any other ideas?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I can see that the VM is really slow, needing ~40 minutes for the last startup (after updating the VirtualBox Guest Additions). But the Windows 11-2023-07-21-14-16-10.log file didn't reveal the root cause to me. I'd suggest to use tools on the host side to try and find out what takes the time.
Jakey

Post by Jakey »

fth0 wrote: 26. Jul 2023, 20:16 I can see that the VM is really slow, needing ~40 minutes for the last startup (after updating the VirtualBox Guest Additions).
Thank you for that hint. I moved the VM to a SSD partition and everything works fine now without either graphic acceleration.

Problem solved! :D