Kali won't run on virtual box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nickperks

Kali won't run on virtual box

Post by nickperks »

Hi, I'm running Virtualbox 6.1 on Ubuntu 22.04 but it isn't running Kali correctly. The version of Kali is 2023.3 and the amd64 version. I'm running it on a HP Notebook (P3L00EA#ABU). I think I downloaded the correct version of Kali for Virtualbox and double clicked on the .vbox version which started fine. When I started the Kali VM it appeared to start correctly but at some point in the boot process the screen just disappeared. It appears to have started in the toolbar and Virtualbox claims it is running but I can't find the Kali screen anywhere. It is like it has just been minimised but I can't open it. I was running Ubuntu 20.04 and upgraded but that didn't solve the issue. I'm now trying a different graphical environment to see if that has any effect. I'd appreciate it if somebody had some insight somewhere.

Regards

Nick
nickperks

Re: Kali won't run on virtual box

Post by nickperks »

So... having tried a totally different graphical environment that of KDE I'm still getting the same reponse. The Kali VM vanishes at boot up and I'm not really sure where it goes? That sounds like the line from a song. Anyway, hope somebody has some idea of what is happening as it doesn't happen on any of my other machines?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali won't run on virtual box

Post by scottgus1 »

Let's get a VM log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)