Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha, Xorg 1.6, vboxvideo

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Ah, that kind of behaviour. I have that on my Host PC. When I switch to a different virtual console than the one I'm useing at the moment and then back, it doesn't go below the limit of my screen.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Dashken

Is it possible to change resolution without GA

Post by Dashken »

I understand it is not possible to install GA on Jaunty Alpha 2.

But is there a way to modify the resolution to something bigger than 800x600 without installing GA?
Fazer

Post by Fazer »

I got VirtualBox 2.1.0 and since a month I can't force Ubuntu 9.04 (guest) to work in graphic mode. I've already updated it to the latest version. Is it working at all for other people?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Fazer wrote:I got VirtualBox 2.1.0 and since a month I can't force Ubuntu 9.04 (guest) to work in graphic mode. I've already updated it to the latest version. Is it working at all for other people?
Did you by chance install the GA and does it want to use the video driver of the GA? If so, remove the video driver line and replace it to use the vesa driver. The Xorg.0.log file should give more info on why it doesn't want to start, or run startx from the CLI.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

Fazer

Post by Fazer »

Yes, I installed GA.

I reinstalled Ubuntu and have 800x600 graphic mode. I can live with it ;-)
Fazer

Post by Fazer »

With the new 2.1.2 version I finally have bigger resolution, but no mouse integration. What I mean is if I want to VirtualBox to capture the input, I have to click inside of its window. If I want to release the input, I have to press right Ctrl.

I've installed VboxLinuxAdditions-x86. Do I have to run something else to have seamless input integration?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Fazer, you might need the vboxmouse line in your xorg.conf. I posted my xorg.conf of Ubuntu 8.10 before, you should be able to find it.

Fazer

Post by Fazer »

Thanks, that helped me.

The proper xorg.conf is:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
   Driver      "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Default Screen"
   Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
   Device      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "vboxmouse"
        Driver          "vboxmouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"        0 0
        InputDevice     "vboxmouse"
EndSection
srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Sasquatch wrote:Fazer, you might need the vboxmouse line in your xorg.conf. I posted my xorg.conf of Ubuntu 8.10 before, you should be able to find it.
Hi, that's strange. I've just upgraded to 2.1.2 and am testing with Ubuntu Jaunty, and mouse integration works perfectly. Incidentally, the vboxvideo driver works perfectly as well with XServer 1.6RC.... happily running full-screen in 1280x1024 at the moment, and resizing works as expected as well.
srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

srv1973 wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Fazer, you might need the vboxmouse line in your xorg.conf. I posted my xorg.conf of Ubuntu 8.10 before, you should be able to find it.
Hi, that's strange. I've just upgraded to 2.1.2 and am testing with Ubuntu Jaunty, and mouse integration works perfectly.
Note that I still have to click inside the window in order to get the keyboard to be sent to the VB guest.... mouse clicks are passed properly, without 'double-click', and I don't have to use RightCtl to leave the window.
Fazer

Post by Fazer »

Mouse integration worked only the first time after I changed xorg.conf. On next launches I have to press right Ctrl again to release mouse.

I've looked at the xorg.conf and it's exactly the same as I posted above. What's happening?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

No idea. I removed my Jaunty test machine and installed a different Linux distro, just to see which one might be better than Ubuntu for my needs. So far, none had what I wanted, and am about to reinstall Jaunty in it. I will see what happens after I install it completely and without any modifications, install the GA.

srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Fazer wrote:Mouse integration worked only the first time after I changed xorg.conf. On next launches I have to press right Ctrl again to release mouse.

I've looked at the xorg.conf and it's exactly the same as I posted above. What's happening?
My xorg.conf is empty. First installed the new 2.1.2 guest additions, then did "mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup" followed by "touch xorg.conf"...

Really, it should work with an empty xorg.conf...
kernst

Post by kernst »

srv1973 wrote: Note that I still have to click inside the window in order to get the keyboard to be sent to the VB guest.... mouse clicks are passed properly, without 'double-click', and I don't have to use RightCtl to leave the window.
Just curious: what did you mean by the "double-click" part?

See, I'm having some trouble with the latest (2.1.2, as of this writing) VirtualBox and Guest Additions which causes X to register a double click for each click of the left mouse button. The guest OS is Debian Lenny, which was 'apt-get dist-upgrade' upgraded yesterday from Etch. I did remember to rebuild the Guest Additions from the GA ISO, as X didn't even work after the upgrade to Lenny without doing that.

I've made the unwanted double-clicking go away by reverting to

Code: Select all

Driver    "mouse"
in 'Section "InputDevice"' of xorg.conf, but this of course loses host mouse integration, which is very nice to have.

I'm not convinced yet whether it's Debian's fault or the VirtualBox GA drivers. My problem is pretty much exactly one described in this Debian forum post, including the part about just having upgraded to Lenny. I tried mostly everything suggested there (removing extra "InputDevice" stanzas from xorg.conf [there were none], trying different protocols) to no avail.

If it would be interesting to anyone trying to track down the root of the problem, I can attach X.org server logs or whatever else. I was mostly satisfied that I'd gotten the problem to go away, albeit without mouse integration, so I didn't do a whole lot of tinkering after that.
Fazer

Post by Fazer »

The Guest Additions work properly now on VirtualBox 2.1.4.