Windows Guest Crashes on load @ login screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DavidElDee

Windows Guest Crashes on load @ login screen

Post by DavidElDee »

Hi Y'all,

I recently updated my windows 10 x64 Pro OS (Host) to the latest version and Virtualbox from v6 to v7. Now when I load any vMachine created with previous versions (5 & 6) everthing crashes at load - or shortly thereafter. Sometimes I can login to the vMachine, often *not*!

Is anybody able to help me with this please?

I enclose the logfile & VBoxHardening logs(zipped). The PNGs in the 'Logs' Dir are not helpful and contain to indications of the causes

(edited for more precision and stupid typos!)
Attachments
VBoxLogs.zip
(97.89 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows Guest Crashes on load @ login screen

Post by mpack »

@David. I don't know if this is your problem, but you have an extension pack mismatch. These need to be the same version.
00:00:12.645904 VirtualBox VM 7.0.10 r158379 win.amd64 (Jul 12 2023 18:34:34) release log
00:00:12.834716 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:12.834754 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 6.1.38 r153438; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP; Crypto Module: unusable because of 'VBoxExtPackVMRegister returned VERR_VERSION_MISMATCH, pReg=0000000000000000 ErrInfo='Helper version mismatch - expected 0x30000 got 0x50000'')
You should also increase the graphics RAM. The current 60MB may not be enough since you enabled a 4K display size. And btw I doubt you can run a display that size without enabling 3D acceleration.
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

@mpack,
thanks for the heads-up, I used to be moderately proficient in running VirtualBox and could nearly always figure out a resolution to diverse issues. I think that the confusion about the extensions, this used to be more straightforward IMHO, but rel 7 did get me a bit flustered in this respect. The graphics RAM has not been changed since rel. 5 and simply put I did not even think of that ... even after adding the new bigger display!.

I will get on the extensions issue and report back! :)
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

@mpack:

Sadly the situation has not improved, I 'think' that the extensions have been installed correctly. I have attached the last log file, should you care to check. Thanks :-D
Attachments
VBoxLogs.zip
(93.96 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I also do not see anything egregiously wrong with the VM. Hyper-V is enabled on the host OS, which may or may not be causing the problem. HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active) Hyper-V may have been enabled by the host OS update.
DavidElDee wrote: 29. Aug 2023, 09:24 when I load any vMachine created with previous versions (5 & 6) everthing crashes at load - or shortly thereafter.
Does this mean that VM's created fresh under 7.0 run OK?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote: 29. Aug 2023, 18:53 Hyper-V is enabled on the host OS, which may or may not be causing the problem.
The key information of the crash log is a "NEM unrecoverable exception", which can only happen when running in NEM (Native Execution Mode aka Hyper-V), so eliminating Hyper-V will serve as a workaround.
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

@ scottgus1

To your query:
"Does this mean that VM's created fresh under 7.0 run OK?"
... the answer is "No", I haven't got around to trying that yet ...
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

@ fth0

Thanks for the tip, I will try that today.
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

scottgus1 wrote: 29. Aug 2023, 18:53 I also do not see anything egregiously wrong with the VM. Hyper-V is enabled on the host OS, which may or may not be causing the problem. HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active) Hyper-V may have been enabled by the host OS update.
DavidElDee wrote: 29. Aug 2023, 09:24 when I load any vMachine created with previous versions (5 & 6) everthing crashes at load - or shortly thereafter.
Does this mean that VM's created fresh under 7.0 run OK?
I checked on the state of this Windows feature, according to Windows, Hyper-V is 'OFF' (Attachment)
Attachments
Hyper-V_Status.PNG
Hyper-V_Status.PNG (17.09 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I checked in the linked tutorial and it says to not bother looking at Windows Features to see if Hyper-V is enabled. :wink:

Tutorial links are posted to be read carefully.
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

scottgus1 wrote: 31. Aug 2023, 19:43 I checked in the linked tutorial and it says to not bother looking at Windows Features to see if Hyper-V is enabled. :wink:

Ummmm, I must have missed that :shock: :? ! Sorry, but where are these links, please? :roll:

Found them! :roll:
DavidElDee

Post by DavidElDee »

scottgus1 wrote: 31. Aug 2023, 19:43 I checked in the linked tutorial and it says to not bother looking at Windows Features to see if Hyper-V is enabled. :wink:

:D :D
I have disabled Hyper-V according to the tutorials and the VM now seems to run stably. Thanks for the help, and sorry for my (initial) inability to read the instructions :roll: :roll:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.