Newly installed Mojave guest crashing/rebooting after Welcome screen

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ejstubbs

Newly installed Mojave guest crashing/rebooting after Welcome screen

Post by ejstubbs »

I have successfully created a MacOS VM, and installed MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 to the point where the "Welcome" screen appears. I can then select my country and keyboard layout without problem.

On the following "How Do You Connect?" screen I select "Local network (Ethernet)", and then on the "Your Internet Connection" screen I select "Using DHCP" for the "TCP/IP Connection Type". When I then click on "Continue", the VM appears to crash, and then reboots, eventually taking me back to the "Welcome" screen again.

I have tried setting the TCP/IP settings manually, but the result was the same.

If I select "My computer does not connect to the Internet" on the "How Do You Connect?" screen then (after a brief whinge about not having an internet connection) the setup process completes successfully - but obviously with no network connection configured, which rather limits what I can do with it.

With the VM up and running Mojave as above, and having installed the VB guest additions for Darwin (and restarted the VM), if I go in to System Preferences and click on the Network icon it says "No services in this location. Click Add (+) to set up a service." If I click + I am sent back to the System Preferences screen with the message "Preferences Error There was an error in Network preferences."

I'd very much appreciate any guidance that people can offer to get this fixed. Since I don't seem to be able to get VB shared folders to work with this VM, I need to be able to access the folders shared from the host itself.

Minimum information needed for assistance follows:
  • VirtualBox Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) - corresponding Extension Pack and Guest Additions installed
  • Host: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9, memory 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • Host OS: MacOS Monterey version 12.6.8
  • Guest: Generic Mac OS X (64-bit) VM, processor "3.6 GHz unknown", memory 4GB 1600 MHz DRAM
  • Guest OS: MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
VM log file: download/file.php?mode=view&id=50781
Attachments
Mojave-2023-08-30-18-04-57.log.zip
(36.82 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Newly installed Mojave guest crashing/rebooting after Welcome screen

Post by scottgus1 »

What kind of network card does the VM have?

I find that a VM called "Mojave" doesn't auto-configure in the "Create Virtual Machine" wizard, and there isn't a "Mojave" choice in the Version dropdown. Mojave isn't on the supported guests. Could be Mojave is incompatible. Or it could be Mojave doesn't like the network card chosen.

When I made a test VM for High Sierra and basic Mac OS 64-bit, both chose the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server card.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You should definitely select "macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit)". Using "Mac OS X (64-bit)" limits the virtual CPU(s) to an older Intel CPU model that most probably will not be supported by newer macOS versions.
ejstubbs

Post by ejstubbs »

fth0 wrote: 30. Aug 2023, 21:49 You should definitely select "macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit)". Using "Mac OS X (64-bit)" limits the virtual CPU(s) to an older Intel CPU model that most probably will not be supported by newer macOS versions.
I tried using a High Sierra VM to begin with, but that seemed to hang every time I tried to boot it from the install DVD, at the RandomSeed step in the boot sequence (this was true for both a Mojave install disc and a High Sierra one). Using the generic OS X 64-bit VM (as suggested elsewhere online) got me past that stage, to the point where I could actually install Mojave in the VM and run it, provided that I didn't try to set up any networking.

Whether that older virtual CPU is the cause of the networking problem I have no idea. That said, setting the VM version to High Sierra in the Settings and running through the setup process from the welcome screen onwards doesn't make the problem go away.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Ok, I understand your reasoning and agree with it.

Regarding the networking, try the standard NAT mode instead of the Bridged mode.
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@ejstubbs

Are you using a wifi interface on your host? If so, then try switching to ethernet.
ejstubbs

Post by ejstubbs »

fth0 wrote: 30. Aug 2023, 22:32 Regarding the networking, try the standard NAT mode instead of the Bridged mode.
I can certainly give that a try.

Could the network adaptor type make a difference? The generic 64-bit VM was created with an "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)" adaptor whereas a VM created using the High Sierra template was created with an "Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)" adaptor.

UPDATE: I can run the Mojave installer on a High Sierra VM if I change the cpu profile on the VM to "Intel Core i7-6700K" - command is:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
The problem apparently arises because the more modern CPU in my iMac - which is exposed directly to the VM - is not compatible with Mojave. Per socratis post on this thread: viewtopic.php?p=397685. So, kind of what you said, but also kind of the other way around!

What has yet to be established is whether this solves the network setup problem...I'm waiting for the Welcome screen as I type.
ejstubbs

Post by ejstubbs »

granada29 wrote: 30. Aug 2023, 22:52 Are you using a wifi interface on your host? If so, then try switching to ethernet.
I've got both network interfaces active on my host. But the one attached [currently] to the bridged adaptor is en0 which is the wired interface.
ejstubbs

Post by ejstubbs »

Hmm, well: success, and then not so much...and then...

Running the High Sierra VM with the cpu profile changed got all the way to the Welcome screen and beyond without asking for the connection details at all. Instead it asked me for my Apple ID and password, then went away and thought for a bit...and then came back saying: "This Mac is no longer eligible to create Apple ID accounts. Create an Apple ID using a different device." Which was odd, since I wasn't trying to create a new Apple ID. And which was also annoying, since there appeared to be no way out of that screen - both the "back" and "continue" buttons were greyed out. Hmm...

However, by shutting down the VM and restarting it, I could follow the same process, skip the Apple ID login*, and complete the rest of the setup to get in to Mojave with network connectivity, install the guest additions (such as they are, for MacOS), restart the VM and truck on...

Which was nice.

* On reflection, I believe this is mentioned in some of the "how to" guides.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

ejstubbs wrote: 31. Aug 2023, 00:03 So, kind of what you said, but also kind of the other way around!
Yes, it's the same basic idea: Apple knows which CPUs they've provided in all their devices, and they can (and did) restrict macOS to run on (some of) their devices. In consequence, your physical/virtual CPUs can be too old or too new.