Use Bluetooth in Windows Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Mr. Brooks

Use Bluetooth in Windows Guest

Post by Mr. Brooks »

Hi,

i'm able to use usb devices (android smartphone to flash a custom rom or my logitech harmony remote) in a windows guest. I have an onboard bluetooth adapter thats works with linux. i want to use it in the windows guest. i can't find the device in windows device manager. there is not option in vbox setting to pass through bluetooth to the guest. is this possible?

thx
mr. brooks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Use Bluetooth in Windows Guest

Post by mpack »

PCs generally don't offer Bluetooth directly, instead they have an internal USB->Bluetooth adapter. Ownership of this adapter is grabbable just like any other USB device, but note however that USB devices can't be shared, so all Bluetooth host devices will be disconnected - or the attempt to grab will fail (depends on how Linux handles the grab attempt).

This comment of yours puzzled me:
Mr. Brooks wrote: 29. Aug 2023, 13:48 i can't find the device in windows device manager.
Why would you expect to see host hardware in the guest device manager? The VM has no direct access to any host hardware except the CPU. All other hardware it sees is virtual, i.e. the result of a simulation.