Crash on Mac M1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
AkaDannnn

Crash on Mac M1

Post by AkaDannnn »

I downloaded VirtualBox on Mac on Apple Silicon architecture. I created and configured a virtual machine with Windows 10. I launch the virtual machine to install the OS - the Windows 10 logo appears and then VirtualBox gives a critical error. The error prompts me to go here. Here is the log:
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(66.65 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Crash on Mac M1

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see M1/M2 Mac 7.0 Beta Status.
XP is the latest Windows OS reported working on the M1/M2 beta. More modern Windows won't run yet. Similar limits in Linux.
AkaDannnn

Post by AkaDannnn »

Thanks for the answer. I tried to run Windows XP in a virtual machine, but when the Windows logo appears, the virtual machine just closes, and in VirtualBox it says that the virtual machine was interrupted. I used this virtual machine on a previous Mac, but after exporting to an ova file and importing it on a new Mac, it doesn't work. I removed the guest additions from the VM, but that didn't help :-( If needed, I can send the logs from the VM
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You do realize that even if you get it "running", it's still going to be unusably slow, right? It's doing CPU simulation after all, which is a 1000 times slower than having the correct processor to start with.

Anyway, in addition to being the wrong guest OS, your previous log shows too much RAM being allocated: you can't afford more than 1024MB. And don't allocate more than one CPU core.

And note that the ARM build is a developer preview: not intended for general users and completely unsupported.
AkaDannnn

Post by AkaDannnn »

Ok, thanks, I’ll try to start my VM with 1024mb/1cpu