Win 10 Pro N won't install on VirtualBox 6.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
LouisB

Win 10 Pro N won't install on VirtualBox 6.1

Post by LouisB »

Hello,
I'm trying to build a Win10 VM on Ubuntu 22.04 with VirtualBox 6.1.

I'm using 6.1 because I'm not sure how to install 7.0 from the .deb file and I also ran into trouble using the VirtualBox repository. This repository doesn't seem to have the corresponding kernel modules and apt-get would fetch virtualbox-7.0 and virtualbox-dkms for 6.1.

The VM seems to launch and the installation proceed with Windows 10 Pro N from a Microsoft ISO. I chose the unbundled EU version because I'm not doing multimedia or anything like that. It's strictly for development and routine Office stuff. Upon reboot to continue the installation, I get the spinning marbles but then it halts with Guru Meditation: "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped".

The VBox.log file is attached (gzipped because it's 6000 lines).

I'd welcome any suggestions. If you think I should upgrade VirtualBox to 7.0, I'd appreciate a pointer to getting around the apt-get inconsistency that I noted above.

Thanks in advance

*** DEEETALES ***

VirtualBox Version 6.1.38_Ubuntu r153438
Ubuntu Cinnamon 22.04 LTS (uname -a gives 6.2.0-26-generic #26~22.04.1-Ubuntu)
Lenovo ThinkPad A485 (1TB SSD, 16GB RAM)
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 2700U w/ Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
VM System:
Motherboard: 6144MB RAM Chipset PIIX3 Pointing Device USB Tablet ENable I/O APIC ENable EFI
Processor: 4 virtual CPUs Execution cap 100% Extended features DISable PAE/NX DISable Nested VT-x/AMD-V
Acceleration: Paravirtualization Interface: Default ENable Nested Paging
Booting optical disk from Microsoft Win10_22H2_English_x64v1.iso

Code: Select all

$ lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  8
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-7
Vendor ID:               AuthenticAMD
  Model name:            AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 2700U w/ Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
    CPU family:          23
    Model:               17
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  4
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            0
    Frequency boost:     enabled
    CPU max MHz:         2200.0000
    CPU min MHz:         1600.0000
    BogoMIPS:            4392.20
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush m
                         mx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep
                         _good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf rapl pni pclmulqdq monitor ss
                         se3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_leg
                         acy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw skinit wdt tc
                         e topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb hw_pstate ssbd ibp
                         b vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 rdseed adx smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt
                          xsavec xgetbv1 clzero irperf xsaveerptr arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_sca
                         le vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vml
                         oad vgif overflow_recov succor smca sev sev_es
Virtualization features: 
  Virtualization:        AMD-V
Attachments
VBox_crash-on-install-from-ISO.log.gz
(80.73 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win 10 Pro N won't install on VirtualBox 6.1

Post by mpack »

As noted, you have the Ubuntu fork 6.1.38, you do not have official VirtualBox - the version supported on these forums. You also have a mismatched official extension pack from 6.1.42. Extension pack versions must match the host software version - and all bets are off when the latter is a fork.

You are over-providing CPU cores. Your host has 4 cores total. A good number for the VM would be 2.

You are getting a "triple fault" guru meditation. These are difficult to diagnose, but IME are often caused by bad install media. Where did you get the ISO? And why is there a drive called "VirtualDisk.vdi" attached to this VM?
LouisB

Post by LouisB »

Hi @mpack,
Thanks for the quick response.

OK, mismatched versions. In that case, I need to fix the obvious problem first before I look for the wonky stuff. I'm OK with going with all 7.0 from the official distribution site. My question then is how best to get and install consistent application, drivers and extension pack.

Thanks for the tip on cores. 2 should be fine, I'm not doing any crazy graphics or games.

The ISO came directly from Microsoft, their software download pages.

VirtualDisk.vdi is attached to Controller: SATA, Type AHCI, Port 0 (not marked as SSD). Virtual size 350GB, actual 9.57GB, dynamically allocated (on a 1TB drive, so lots of room).

Thanks
LouisB

Post by LouisB »

Hi,
The story continues...

Using apt, I removed virtualbox 6.1 (sudo apt remove virtualbox), then installed 7.0. I set up virtualbox in the /etc/apt sources.list, with the oracle_vbox_2016 GPG key.
It seems to have installed from virtualbox-7.0_7.0.10-158379~Ubuntu~jammy_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package virtualbox-7.0.
Preparing to unpack .../virtualbox-7.0_7.0.10-158379~Ubuntu~jammy_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking virtualbox-7.0 (7.0.10-158379~Ubuntu~jammy) ...
The VirtualBox application started and I added what I think is the corresponding extension pack: Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.10-158379.vbox-extpack

However I get a crash and a big pop-up with title: VirtualBox - Error in supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime
TR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (fRtFlags=0x10000) (rc=-1912)
The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.
where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
I closed the application and ran
/sbin/vboxconfig
as recommended. Same result. Is there a way to remove the existing kernel modules before re-running vboxconfig?

Thanks
LouisB

[SOLVED] Re: Win 10 Pro N won't install on VirtualBox 6.1

Post by LouisB »

Finally! It finishes the installation.

Using apt I removed the inconsistent kernel modules: sudo apt remove virtualbox-dkms
Then re-ran sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
The modules now seem to be at the correct revision.

The hints were helpful. Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.