Can't run graphical applications on Windows Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
vromero

Can't run graphical applications on Windows Guest

Post by vromero »

Hi all,

Code: Select all

Virtualbox: 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2)
Virtualbox guest additions: 7.0.8
Guest Microsoft Windows: 10.0.17763.107
Host Microsoft Windows: 10.0.22621.1992
I have a rather vanilla Windows guest on which I'm trying to run the calculator with no success:

VBoxManage --nologo guestcontrol "windows-10-dark_default_1689593456247_29289" --username vagrant --password vagrant run --exe "C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe"
The user is logged in and the session open (I mention this due to the limitation I found documented, the gpedit approach doesn't seem to work):
Guest control. On Windows guests, a process started using the guest control execute support will not be able to display a graphical user interface unless the user account under which it is running is currently logged in and has a desktop session.

Also, to use accounts without or with an empty password, the guest's group policy must be changed. To do so, open the group policy editor on the command line by typing gpedit.msc, open the key Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options and change the value of Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only to Disabled.
I can execute non graphical applications as shown below:

PS C:\Users\victo> VBoxManage --nologo guestcontrol "windows-10-dark_default_1689593456247_29289" --username vagrant --password vagrant run --exe "c:\Windows\System32\query.exe"  -- "c:\Windows\System32\query.exe" "user"
 USERNAME              SESSIONNAME        ID  STATE   IDLE TIME  LOGON TIME
 vagrant               console             1  Active      none   17/07/2023 11:43 PM
I tried already my best google-fu with no luck whatsoever. Do you have any idea what it could be? Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't run graphical applications on Windows Guest

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
vromero

Re: Can't run graphical applications on Windows Guest

Post by vromero »

I saw a similar thread in the forum stating that it used to work in the past. For whatever is worth I tried it with the latest Virtual Box 6 version and it works as expected.

I'm attaching the logfile both for v6 and v7.
Attachments
logs.zip
Logs for both 6 and 7
(95.44 KiB) Downloaded 8 times