VirtualBox Test Builds Page Has No Builds

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ajacocks
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: SUSE Enterprise 10.1 x64

VirtualBox Test Builds Page Has No Builds

Post by ajacocks »

All,

I'm trying to deal with the Windows XP guest black screen issue, and the suggested remedy is to install a Guest Additions test build > 7.0.9. However, the test builds page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds has no builds listed. Does anyone have updated build information or links?

Thanks!
- Alex
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox Test Builds Page Has No Builds

Post by scottgus1 »

Well, now, that's unusual!

The devs will have them up again soon, no doubt. Meanwhile, 7.0.6 GAs have been known as a workaround too. https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso
mikegold10

Will there never again be development builds or test builds?

Post by mikegold10 »

They have been missing for over a month with no working links - no links at all, to be more precise, just a bunch of taunting text meant to be links.

Here, see if you can download a development build by clicking on the following link:

Latest 7.0.x Development Build
Latest 7.0.x Test Build

..., didn't think so!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm sure I saw them there a few days ago. But they are not there now. I have a question in to a forum guru who communicates with the devs regularly, we might get some idea what's up.
marmel

Post by marmel »

Yes, the links have been available until just a couple of days ago.

I've tested all the following recent builds from the past few weeks:

VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157444
VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157540
VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157700
VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.9-157775
VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.97-157801
marmel

Post by marmel »

FYI: Test builds page is fixed listing builds with links again now.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox test builds page has been fixed for the moment. Please report if this issue occurs again. A related issue would be missing forum attachments, BTW, so if anybody spots that ...
barrykn

Post by barrykn »

fth0 wrote: 13. Jun 2023, 16:46 The VirtualBox test builds page has been fixed for the moment. Please report if this issue occurs again. A related issue would be missing forum attachments, BTW, so if anybody spots that ...
As I write this, Windows 7.0.x revision 158070 results in a zero-byte download. (All of the other 7.0.x 158050/158070 downloads that I tried -- macOS, Linux, Guest Additions ISO, Extension Pack -- seem to work, however. I did not try to download any of the 6.1.x or development builds.)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

As of now, I can download the Windows and macOS installers both equally well. If you still have the problem, I'd suggest to investigate what happens with downloads whose filenames end with ".exe" on your side.
barrykn

Post by barrykn »

fth0 wrote: 7. Jul 2023, 21:24 As of now, I can download the Windows and macOS installers both equally well. If you still have the problem, I'd suggest to investigate what happens with downloads whose filenames end with ".exe" on your side.
I just checked again and I'm still having the problem.

I'm able to download the 6.1.x and development testbuild exes, just not the 7.0.x revision 158070 testbuild exe. The problem happens on 3 different computers running 3 different operating systems (Windows 11 22H2, Debian bookworm, and macOS Ventura), on 2 different American ISPs (Cox Communications and T-Mobile US). The problem occurs whether I try to do the download using Firefox, or wget, or curl.

If I get a chance later this weekend, I guess I'll try spinning up an AWS EC2 instance and see if that's able to download it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

barrykn wrote: 8. Jul 2023, 13:09 I just checked again and I'm still having the problem.
Could be something in your locality. I also tried them and got good downloads (to upper East coast USA):
tb 158070 downloaded.png
tb 158070 downloaded.png (59.78 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
barrykn wrote: 8. Jul 2023, 13:09 The problem happens on 3 different computers running 3 different operating systems
This very likely takes your situation away from a browser cache issue etc. Maybe an internet service provider cache of some sort? I'd try a Tor instance to get my internet location into a different country.
barrykn

Post by barrykn »

scottgus1 wrote: 8. Jul 2023, 14:03 Could be something in your locality. I also tried them and got good downloads (to upper East coast USA)
That's possible; I'm on the west coast.

Anyway, since the testbuilds have been updated again, I'm no longer having this download problem, so I guess it's moot now.