Trouble with NT 4.0 Guest Additions video driver

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jbhtexas

Trouble with NT 4.0 Guest Additions video driver

Post by jbhtexas »

My system:
Virtual Box 2.1
Host: Win XP SP 2
Guest: Win NT Workstation 4.0 SP6 with 2.1 Guest Additions installed

When ever I boot this guest and log in to Windows, I always get the message that the display resolution is invalid, with the Display Properties window open awaiting me to choose another video resolution. It doesn't matter what video resolution and color combination I pick. I've tried 640x480x256 colors all the way up to 800x600x1677216 colors. When I hit the Test button, everything looks great. I hit OK, then am prompted to reboot. Upon reboot, same problem. I've tried different amounts of video memory, but that does not eliminate the problem.

Any ideas? I've not run into this problem with my W2k or XP guests. I had the same problem when I was using VB 2.0.4, and was hoping the upgrade to 2.1 might fix the issue, but it didn't. I have also uninstalled/reinstalled the Guest Additions, but the problem persists.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by jbhtexas on 9. Jan 2009, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
jbhtexas

Post by jbhtexas »

I got the problem solved...

I went into the NT 4.0 guest and installed the Windows generic VGA driver (which required the NT CD) and rebooted. No problems. I then mounted the Guest Additions ISO file and copied all the files over to the NT 4.0 virtual machine drive. Next, I changed video drivers and installed (using "Have Disk") the Sun video driver found in the Guest Additions files. Then, I rebooted, and the problem seems to be fixed.

Something must have gotten a bit messed up when Guest Additions installed itself the first time...