Need help with Windows Whistler

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Apostolis

Need help with Windows Whistler

Post by Apostolis »

Hello, I have been recently trying to install windows Whistler 2211 on VirtualBox (I did install MSDOS and chaded the date to 03/10/00. But everytime I boot the Whistler installation it says "Starting Windows 2000 Setup" (or something like that, i can't remember exactly) on the bottom of the screen, and then after a few seconds it crashes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Need help with Windows Whistler

Post by scottgus1 »

If the Virtualbox VM window stays open while Whistler crashes, then this is likely a Whistler problem, not a Virtualbox problem.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Apostolis

Post by Apostolis »

That's correct the VM window stays open when it crashes.

Here are the files you wanted:
Attachments
VBox.zip
VBox.zip
(27.37 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
A picture of the BSOD error in the VM
A picture of the BSOD error in the VM
bsod.png (23.94 KiB) Viewed 736 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There have been bugs recently that affected XP boot, so you should try the latest release in the 6.1.x branch, that would be 6.1.44.

Otherwise, Whistler is a beta release and we don't support betas of guest OS's. We don't even know if the installer is supposed to work. I also wonder where you got this beta from and how much it had been messed with: stopcode 1E usually means a third party driver crash, which usually means a non-MS driver for hardware not existing in the VM.
Apostolis

Post by Apostolis »

I just wanted to see some Whistler beta builds, I saw other guys doing it on VirtualBox and I thought it might be interesting.