Looking for Guest Additional Software in 64 Bit for Window 11?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
KDJFS

Looking for Guest Additional Software in 64 Bit for Window 11?

Post by KDJFS »

Hi,
I have installed a Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit version on my Virtualbox on MacOs.
But now I can't find the 64bit Guest Additional Software. Is tehre no or I'm blind?
If someone ahve a link I would appreacheate if it will posted!

Cheers
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Looking for Guest Additional Software in 64 Bit for Window 11?

Post by scottgus1 »

Both 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (amd64) versions are on the Guest Additions ISO. "VboxWindowsAdditions.exe" will automatically pick the correct version to run.
KDJFS

Post by KDJFS »

Hi,
thank you very much. I thought the amd64 is for a special hostsystem from AMD.

Best
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, that threw me off when I first saw a 64-bit app release, too. AMD actually invented 64-bit, as best I've read, then Intel licensed it from AMD.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: 3. Jul 2023, 15:44 AMD actually invented 64-bit, as best I've read.
Intel came first with the first 64-bit evolution of x86, this happened in the late '90s - the Itanium, aka ia64. Unfortunately it was hard to write efficient code for, and little thought seemed to have been given to backwards compatibility. AMD developed AMD64 as a direct response to the Itanium, kind of "show Intel how it should have been done": coding was easier hence performance was better - plus the AMD64 processors could also run unmodified i386 (i.e. 32bit) code. The market naturally chose AMD64 and Intel eventually licensed the tech (rather, without looking it up I'd guess it was probably some kind of technology swap) then Intel pretty much abandoned Itanium.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks, Mpack! Interesting history there. I remember reading about Itanium in a computer's manual I had from the early 2000's, before I really got on the internet. I thought it was some kind of server CPU...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: 3. Jul 2023, 16:26 I thought it was some kind of server CPU...
I guess that's how they would pitch it. The big problem with Itanium was lack of backwards 32bit compatibility, which may not be a problem if you sell it as a high performance processor specialized for running 64bit server OS's.

But then AMD64 came along in 2003. It fully supported 64bit and 32bit code, and what's worse (for Intel) the performance was better too, even on those 64bit server OS's.

Perhaps Intel was hoping that the switch to 64bit could provide a way to ditch all the legacy baggage from the earlier x86 era, but if so it didn't work - a brave attempt, but all they did was leave a gap in the market.