Solaris 11.4 SRU58 fails to boot on Windows 10

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
spbarrett

Solaris 11.4 SRU58 fails to boot on Windows 10

Post by spbarrett »

I recently update my Solaris 11.4 VM from SRU 57->58. When I attempt to boot the new BE only the GRUB menu appears followed by the SunOS text. Then boot stops.
So I successfully rebooted to the SRU57 BE, deleted the SRU58 BE, and tried the update again. Same results. Solaris boost starts, fails, and locks. The log shows "SUSPENDED". Attempts to boot in verbose mode also fails, nothing progresses after the SunOS message.
Tried rebooting the Windows system. Uninstalled and re-installed VirtualBox 7.0.8 and extension pack. Successfully booted an older Solaris SRU34 image. After the boot fails al subsequent Solaris VMs fail and the PC must be rebooted.
The Solaris upgrade was successful on my Linux desktop so I export/import that VM and tried it on Windows. Same results.
I am pretty certain that this is a Windows 10 problem specific to my current configuration, but have no clue how to troubleshoot. Windows patches and drivers are all up-to-date.
Tried increasing the memory for the Solaris VM 4GB->8GB, no change.
Tried disabling USB, no change.
Tried with & without VPN active, no change.
No information in the VirtualBox error log.
No screen messages in the Solaris boot listing.
Any clues or others experiencing similar issues would be appreciated.
Attachments
Sol114_SRU58.jpg
Sol114_SRU58.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 76807 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Solaris 11.4 SRU58 fails to boot on Windows 10

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
spbarrett

Post by spbarrett »

No matter what I try the VM will not start on my corporate laptop. I have successfully run it using a personal Windows 10 system and OLinux v8. I believe the issue is a memory management item specific to the corporate Windows laptop. It might be difficult, if not impossible to troubleshoot but I am willing to try.
The VM once ran using SRU57 and kernel options "-v -m -verbose", now that no longer works.
I have attached a screen shot of the verbose. The log is and the log.KB so I will need to delete a portion before posting. Any suggestions as to what is unimportant?
Attachments
Solaris_verbose.PNG
Solaris_verbose.PNG (29.9 KiB) Viewed 76793 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

spbarrett wrote: 3. Jul 2023, 18:17 the VM will not start on my corporate laptop. I have successfully run it using a personal Windows 10 system and OLinux v8. I believe the issue is a memory management item specific to the corporate Windows laptop.
There's a good possibility that Windows Hyper-V is enabled on the corporate laptop, with some of the newer security systems.

Please provide logs for both the corporate and personal laptops for comparison.
spbarrett wrote: 3. Jul 2023, 18:17 The log is and the log.KB so I will need to delete a portion before posting.
Please zip the log. If the zip file is still too big, break the log into two or three pieces and zip each piece, then post the zips. There is important info on the whole log, so we need the whole thing.
spbarrett

Post by spbarrett »

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
I have attached a zip file with the corporate and personal VBox logs.
Attachments
VBox_Sol-Win.zip
(64.22 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It appears the corporate laptop is running host Hyper-V:
00:00:08.900166 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
The personal laptop is not:
00:00:09.582786 HM: HMR3Init: VT-x w/ nested paging and unrestricted guest execution hw support
Some Virtualbox hosts can run VMs with active Hyper-V, some cannot. We don't know what's the go/no-go feature yet.

HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

If corporate lets you turn off Hyper-V, then you may be able to run this VM. Hyper-V is also the basis for memory and other security features in Windows.

If you need to run this VM for your work, talk to your bosses. They may get IT to turn off or let you turn off Hyper-V.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In addition to what scottgus1 wrote, the guest OS read ~100 MB from the virtual hard disk and was active for ~31 seconds (from 00:00:13 to 00:00:44). I didn't see any indication of the real cause of your issue either (except for the potential Hyper-V cause).

If you want/have to find out if Hyper-V is the culprit before talking to someone your company, you can enable Core Isolation / Memory Integrity on your personal device, which will enforce the use of Hyper-V, and test if the VM then hangs, too.

When Bad Things (TM) happen, the usual rule applies: No backup, no mercy! ;)
spbarrett

Post by spbarrett »

Scott, thanks for the suggestion. I will try turning Hyper-V on and then off again with a couple of reboot. according to the "Windows Features" it is not turned "On". (See the attached.).
I can also check the BIOS, just something was tweaked. I started to experience strange behavior after a recent Windows update. I am also unable to run Rancher Desktop, Docker Desktop, and WSL2. I think that I remember that running WSL2 requires Hyper-V.This may all be related.
I will try the "fix" from this post: https://trendoceans.com/use-wsl-and-ora ... same-time/
Attachments
However, WSL2 is running. VirtualBox does not yet identify a difference.
However, WSL2 is running. VirtualBox does not yet identify a difference.
WSL2.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 76776 times
Hyper-V not turned on.
Hyper-V not turned on.
Hyper-V.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 76778 times
Last edited by spbarrett on 3. Jul 2023, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

spbarrett wrote: 3. Jul 2023, 23:02 I will try turning Hyper-V on and then off again with a couple of reboot. according to the "Windows Features" it is not turned "On". (See the attached.).
If you read the linked tutorial, you'd know that looking at Windows Features isn't recommended as a way to tell if Hyper-V is enabled.