Guest Additions install fails on Virtual Box 7.0.8 for Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Patrick K

Guest Additions install fails on Virtual Box 7.0.8 for Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Post by Patrick K »

I recently upgraded my macOS operating system (host) to macOS 13.4.1 from macOS 12.x. As part of this process, I also updated VirtualBox to Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) (the current version linked from the downloads page at virtualbox(.)org/wiki/Downloads).

I primarily use VirtualBox to run Ubuntu guests. As such, I attempted to set up an Ubuntu 22.04 guest OS. Setting up the guest OS proceeded without issue. However, when I attempted to install the VBoxGuestAdditions-7.0.8, the process would not complete and the VM hung during the installation process. Here is the output on the terminal during the install:

Code: Select all

/mnt$ sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Verifying archive integrity...  100%   MD5 checksums are OK. All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 7.0.8 Guest Additions for Linux  100%
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-7.0.8/bin/VBoxClient: error while loading shared libraries: libXt(.)so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-7.0.8/bin/VBoxClient: error while loading shared libraries: libXt(.)so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Setting up modules
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel
modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: or
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.15.0-75-generic.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-75-generic
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until
the system is restarted or 'rcvboxadd reload' triggered
VirtualBox Guest Additions: reloading kernel modules and services
At this point the install hangs and the guest OS becomes unresponsive.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to reproduce.

1. Boot up VM with installed guest OS (Ubuntu 22.04).
2. Run all updates:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
3. Install bzip2, gcc, make, and perl (pre-requisite that the Guest Additions installer script will complain about if not present):

sudo apt install -y bzip2 gcc make perl
4. Obtain the Guest Additions ISO:

wget https://download.virtualbox(.)org/virtualbox/7.0.8/VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.8.iso
5. Mount the Guest Additions ISO:

sudo mount -o loop ~/path/to/VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.8.iso /mnt
6. Run the installer script:

sudo /mnt/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Vbox.log file is attached.

I have read in other threads that the 7.0.8 release "may have problems", so will be attempting to backport to 7.0.6 for the time being. That said, I'm surprised they've released 7.0.8 as the default download if this is happening.

I hope this helps with some troubleshooting or others who are encountering the same or similar issues with the Guest Additions on Linux guest OSes.
Attachments
test-vguestaddons_default_1687539477614_93470-2023-06-23-07-37-56.log
(102.12 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Additions install fails on Virtual Box 7.0.8 for Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Patrick K wrote: 23. Jun 2023, 19:54 Install bzip2, gcc, make, and perl (pre-requisite that the Guest Additions installer script will complain about if not present):
There's one other prerequisite that often is the big moose on campus: the kernel headers. Your VM still has the default Linux-distro-provided kernel headers:
00:00:11.518168 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq

Though, fwiw, not having the kernel headers updated hasn't resulted in a VM seize-up, that I've seen. The VM OS might have been running slow because of Apple's new forced-Apple-hypervisor policy, resulting in the green virtualization turtle in the VM's status bar.
Patrick K

Post by Patrick K »

Thank you, I will check on these and report back with results.

It is frustrating how Apple has been changing things up for how things work on their OS. :( I should note that I am on an Intel-based Macintosh computer, so things have been working smoothly up until this point.
Patrick K

Post by Patrick K »

OK, setting up a new fresh box and checking the Kernel Headers after installing the other requisite packages (bzip2 gcc make perl) as per instructions at https://www.virtualbox(.)org/manual/ch02.html#install-linux-prereq:

:~$ uname -r
5.15.0-75-generic
:~$ sudo apt install linux-headers-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
linux-headers-generic is already the newest version (5.15.0.75.73).
linux-headers-generic set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
So kernel headers are already installed at this point. Following the remaining steps results in the same feedback:

:~$ sudo /mnt/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Verifying archive integrity...  100%   MD5 checksums are OK. All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 7.0.8 Guest Additions for Linux  100%
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Setting up modules
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel
modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: or
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.15.0-75-generic.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-75-generic
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until
the system is restarted or 'rcvboxadd reload' triggered
At which point the system hangs and becomes unresponsive. Sending an ACPI shut down does not halt the guest OS, a hard power off request is required to halt the system.

Attempting a hard shut down and reboot of the box at this point results in the box booting and showing that the Guest Additions version is 7.0.8 (see attached vbox.log file). After rebooting and logging into the guest OS, I ran the following to see what would occur:

:~$ sudo rcvboxadd reload
currently loaded module vboxguest version (7.0.8 r156879) does not match to VirtualBox Guest Additions installation version (unknown unknown)
The log file /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log may contain further information.
The logfile listed above contains the following information:

:~$ cat /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log
currently loaded module vboxguest version (7.0.8 r156879) does not match to VirtualBox Guest Additions installation version (unknown unknown)
So there is still some disconnect occurring during the install process that the reboot may have interrupted, or something else was not properly set up.

We have also been able to reproduce this on two separate systems with the same host OS (macOS 13.4.1), guest OS (Ubuntu 22.04), and Virtual Box version (7.0.8).

Still planning to downgrade to 7.0.6 and see if this issue persists, will update once I have had time to do so.
Attachments
test-vguestaddons_default_1687563793525_30628-2023-06-23-15-49-48.log
(106.88 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

There have been a number of problems that first became apparent with changes made by Apple to the Hypervisor in the Ventura 13.3.1 update.

I think that rather than downgrading to VirtualBox 7.0.6 you will have more success if you install the current Development build (rev 157803) from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds.

Don't forget to also download and install the Extension Pack from the same location.

You should install the Guest Additions using the bundled ISO that is included in the installer.

I am running rev 157803 with both Debian and Windows VMs on a 2017 iMac with Ventura 13.4.1
Patrick K

Post by Patrick K »

Thank you, I will give the development build a test today.
Patrick K

Post by Patrick K »

OK, good news is that testing with the 7.0.97 r157803 development build appears to resolve the issue. The VBoxGuestAdditions installed without issue, and my test VM appears to be running without any hiccups or other issues with mounted folders.

I'm going to test this with a production workflow and see if I run into any problems, but it looks like it may be smooth sailing. Will update with results from that later today.
Patrick K

Post by Patrick K »

OK, it appears that everything is stable in our production workflow as well. Should be good to go from there. Thank you again for the assistance on troubleshooting this, and hopefully the development build will reach release in the near future.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Regarding future releases, you should perhaps try the 7.0.9 test builds, because they are the base for VirtualBox 7.0.10 expected around 2023-07-18. The development snapshots 7.0.97 are the base for VirtualBox 7.1, expected much later (major releases are usually 1 year apart, VirtualBox 7.0 needed even 3 years to surface).