Network speed <1kb on all guest OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
AeroEngineer

Network speed <1kb on all guest OS

Post by AeroEngineer »

I'm running Virtual Box 7 with about 900Mbps download to my Mac Ventura 13.4 host. I have guest OS for Ubuntu Mate, Raspian, and several Mac OS-X versions. All of them consistently run with a network speed <1Kbps, often with several seconds at 0Kbps. I've tried several different network adapters on both NAT and bridged networks. I can't even update the Guest systems because it will take days (weeks?) to download the updates. I want to use my VMs to read my mail in a safe environment and visit sites with poor security (e.g. non-HTTPS). Both of these are impossible because of the abysmally slow download speeds.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Network speed <1kb on all guest OS

Post by granada29 »

Please post a log of a session that is giving you this problem.

Please start a fresh session (i.e. NOT from a saved a state), reproduce the problem then shut down the VM.
Right click the VM name in VirtualBox manager and select the Show in Finder option from the popup menu.
In the folder that is opened you will see a folder named Logs. Open this folder, right-click VBox.log and choose the Compress option from the menu.

Attach the compressed log file as an attachment to a new post in this topic.

A lot of steps but not so bad once you do it :)
AeroEngineer

Post by AeroEngineer »

I conducted some more tests at about 20:30 on 18 June. I loaded several web pages on both my Raspian and Ubuntu Mate virtual machines. The pages included some streams, e.g. news feeds. The speeds were higher than I noticed this morning, with a few spurts up to ~3.5MB, but most of the time it was much lower, and there were a few periods well under 1K (and several less than 100). I tested the network speed to my computer, and it was upwards of 300Mbps each time.

I've attached two logs, one from my Raspian virtual machine and the other from my Ubuntu Mate virtual machine.
Attachments
VBox Ubuntu Mate.log.zip
(35.06 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
VBox Raspberry Pi.log.zip
(32.35 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Looking at your Ubuntu VM

The network configuration looks OK to me.

Try increasing the number of CPUs from 1 to 2, and also increasing RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Your current configuration may be a little too conservative and you do have the available resources to increase them a bit.

I suggest just getting one of your VMs going better, then work on the next.

Hope that helps