Mint MATE: A start job is running for vboxadd.service

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
madjoe

Mint MATE: A start job is running for vboxadd.service

Post by madjoe »

Hi,

I can't reproduce the following issue all the time, but every once in awhile (almost every 2nd, or 3rd time) I boot my Guest, the loading time takes more than 5-6min, see below. I just reproduced the issue and immediately shut down my Guest normally, then saved the log which I am attaching to this post.
vboxadd.service.png
vboxadd.service.png (20.83 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
Additionally, I've also noticed that each time I enable 3D acceleration with VMSVGA, I have glitches while watching video, some area becomes a big rectangle, os the entire video flickers and recovers after a second. Temporarily, I disabled the 3D acceleration, but I wonder what could cause such issue?

My both kernels are identical (5.15 LTS) on Host and Guest.

Thanks,
Joe
Attachments
VBox.zip
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
ufguy

Re: Mint MATE: A start job is running for vboxadd.service

Post by ufguy »

I think I ran into something like this last week.

For me it was an incomplete/messed up Guest Additions install issue. It wasn't MINT, it was Debian and Raspberry Pi. And it happened every time I started the machines up.
madjoe

Post by madjoe »

I just reinstalled my Guest Additions one more time (this time I was more patient and waited for more than 10min. after it was installed, btw - no success notification upon the installation) but ran into the same issue right after. Any other ideas?

Any thoughts on enabling the 3D acceleration (VMSVGA) issue? Thnx.
ufguy

Post by ufguy »

So the installation program for Guest Additions didn't terminate right? I think that's what I saw. After I made some corrections it did end right and the 5 minute wait at boot time no longer happened. I believe to get things going right I followed these pages:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq