Windows fails at install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows fails at install

Post by mpack »

loukingjr wrote: The Windows 10 ASUS laptop I have doesn't support high end NVdivia RTX graphics cards either.
Died-in-the-wool tower case man here, so I wouldn't be in the market for that ASUS laptop either (*). I do have a Surface Pro 8 that I bought to go on a trip with me. Pretty nice actually, since it can access all of the Intel ecosystem except the CPU-draining stuff I mentioned. As a bonus it has top of the range USB-c transfer speeds, great for copying video files off a drone.

(*) p.s. And I not saying that everyone should have the same priorities as me. What I am saying is: don't buy your M1/M2 laptop and then express surprise that the Intel ecosystem is closed off to you. If you did your research then you accepted that when you went for that laptop.

p.p.s. I don't know about the specific laptop you mention, but high end graphics cards are available for Intel laptops. As I said I'm not a laptop user myself, but I know that several guys at my work have this. I assume the card goes into an M.2 slot down below, but don't quote me on that. I know that the performance was surprisingly good running our 3D graphics app (OpenGL).
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

mpack wrote:
loukingjr wrote: *) And I not saying that everyone should have the same priorities as me. What I am saying is: don't buy your M1/M2 laptop and then express surprise that the Intel ecosystem is closed off to you. If you did your research then you accepted that when you went for that laptop.
Don't fret. I don't remember being surprised. :lol:

FWIW, I have both Intel & Apple silicon Macs. Plus the aforementioned Windows Box, a System 76 Linux box, and a Chromebook. I may even have an Atari 1200XL in the basement. I forget. :)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

loukingjr wrote: Don't fret. I don't remember being surprised. :lol:
The OP said he was, this is his topic. :)

And snap: an Atari 1024STF sits on my office shelf right now, along with monitor and external hard drive.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

mpack wrote:
loukingjr wrote: Don't fret. I don't remember being surprised. :lol:
The OP said he was, this is his topic. :)
What can I say? I'm old. I confuse easily. 8)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.