Critical error in machine execution

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
user13842938

Critical error in machine execution

Post by user13842938 »

Today, I have tried to set up VirtualBox for my OS course. I succeeded at first and was able to set up VM (using a vm.ova file and File -> Import Appliance within VirtualBox). I then mounted a folder, but was unsuccessful in getting it reflected on the VM. The VM stopped working at some point between my attempts to mount and remove the mounted path. I have restarted my machine, uninstalled and reinstalled VirtualBox (but it seems it leaves some trace), and also removed and re-added the VM in attempts to fix it. Most recently, I installed VirtualBox from homebrew and am receiving the below error:

'A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has stopped' or black screen if I choose to ignore it. It recommended I post here. I have attached the first 100 lines of the log file as `first.log` and the last 100 lines as `last.log` since it was too large to attach.
first.log
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
last.log
(6.03 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
For additional information, the host is a 2019 Intel Macbook, and the VM I am to run is Arch Linux (64-bit).

Please let me know if any additional information is required.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Critical error in machine execution

Post by granada29 »

Unfortunately this a problem that was introduced by macOS 13.3. There has been discussion of the problem at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108970 and a bug ticket filed at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21563

The Oracle developers are working on a fix and hopefully it will be available in the next release of VirtualBox. There are testbuilds available for the next version of VirtualBox, with a patch for the problem, but reports have been mixed on how well they will work.
user13842938

Post by user13842938 »

granada29 wrote:Unfortunately this a problem that was introduced by macOS 13.3
Does this mean that downgrading to 13.2 will work? I am currently in macOS recovery mode.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Yes - You should be OK with macOS Ventura 13.2 or 13.2.1