VB 7.0.6, Ventura 13.3 host Moving guests between hosts, SIP issue?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mattgumbley

VB 7.0.6, Ventura 13.3 host Moving guests between hosts, SIP issue?

Post by mattgumbley »

Hi, is there a correct way to move a VM from one mac to another? I copied a .vdi/.vbox pair from an older mac to a Ventura 13.3 one, and tried to add it to VirtualBox. This fails with VERR_ACCESS_DENIED.
Normal UNIX permissions/ownership are fine for these; they match those of other VMs that work fine.
I think this is probably related to System Integrity Protection, which I don't want to disable. I can create new VMs here fine, and their files have the com.apple.macl extended attribute. The files I copy from the other system do not. I tried creating this XA with the same data as found in a working VM file, but this did not fix the issue.

Kind regards,
Matt Gumbley
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VB 7.0.6, Ventura 13.3 host Moving guests between hosts, SIP issue?

Post by scottgus1 »

mattgumbley wrote:is there a correct way to move a VM from one mac to another? I copied a .vdi/.vbox pair from an older mac to a Ventura 13.3 one,
Moving the .vbox & .vdi is a partially correct way to move a VM. Even "correcter" is to move the whole VM folder containing the .vbox and .vdi. This will catch any snapshots that may have been made, too.
mattgumbley wrote:tried to add it to VirtualBox. This fails with VERR_ACCESS_DENIED.
If special permissions were added to the .vbox & .vdi, then these may stick when moving. Footling with permissions often leads to this sort of thing.

If no special permissions were added (and this means not inadvertently, either, as in "a long time ago I chmodded a folder somewhere" and it happens this folder was in the root path to the VM, etc.) then the new folder holding the VM's .vbox and .vdi also must have normal permissions.

So the host you move the VM to has to be set up same as the host you move the VM from, re permissions.

I'd have to leave the SIP question to the Mac gurus here. Ventura 13.3 is having some issues that the devs will have to work out.