Unable to start - A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine ex

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
radim

Unable to start - A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine ex

Post by radim »

My virtual Windows 7 guest stopped working. I did not use it for a couple of weeks and I can't start it now.

The error is
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.

Logs attached. Does anyone have any clue?
I have found a post mentioning Docker was the issue for someone. I use Docker but I turned it off. It did not help.

Many thanks
Radim
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(59.46 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to start - A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machin

Post by mpack »

radim wrote: I have found a post mentioning Docker was the issue for someone. I use Docker but I turned it off. It did not help.
That isn't a problem for a Ventura host, because both Docker and VirtualBox are forced to use the MacOS hypervisor API.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Unable to start - A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machin

Post by granada29 »

@radim
Unfortunately this is a known issue with macOS Ventura 13.3. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108970

The only workaround is to use macOS Ventura 13.2.1. A bug ticket has been filed with Oracle and maybe it will be addressed in the next release of VirtualBox.
radim

Post by radim »

Many thanks. I'm looking forward for an upgrade :) Fortunately, it's not so urgent for me.