Access guest internet from host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Access guest internet from host

Post by 12358 »

Hi everyone,
Recently I have bought a pc with 4 GB ram. So, I have to install windows xp x64(64 bit) version to use all memory. There is no 64 bit driver for my w810i, which i use as edge modem to get connected to the internet. So, I have installed a windows xp 32 bit in virtualbox. Now I am using internet(dial up) in this guest os through w810i modem.
Could anyone please tell me whether it is possible to use the guest(xp 32 bit) internet in the host xp x64 and if possible, how?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

What is the sense of this crappy approach?

4 GB - Space for the Guest = Max Memory for XP 32.

Use XP 32, that is the best solution. Or use Vista64 and buy new Hardware.

XP 64 is not a good solution. There are not many drivers for this OS.

Post by 12358 »

@stefan.becker
Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion
What is the sense of this crappy approach?
:D Yeah, this appraoch is crappy. But i want to use this as a temporary solution until I have found other internet connections.
4 GB - Space for the Guest = Max Memory for XP 32.
32 bit xp can theoretically support the full 4GB, but the hardware is going to allocate some of the address space (not the physical RAM) to the PCI bus, the video adapter memory address space, and other resources. 32-bit OSs need to use part of the full 4GB address space to address these resources, subtracting from the maximum memory I have available to the OS and applications:
From HP:
The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCI-Express, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today’s high performance graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory) addresses are allocated.

In my case, I am loosing more than 1 GB ram using xp 32 bit. So, I have to use 64 bit xp.
Or use Vista64 and buy new Hardware.
There is no vista64 driver for w810i. I have searched for edge modem having 64 bit driver but I have found none.
XP 64 is not a good solution. There are not many drivers for this OS.
Yeah, xp 64 is not a good thing. But I have found the drivers for all my devices except w810i.

Thanks again for your suggestion
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Better one GB lost than XP64.

That is my only suggestion.

The VBOX Guest costs performance and RAM, so this cant be a good solution.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Back to the real question. You can do this by installing the MS Loopback adapter on the Host and select the new HIF method for the VM. Select the loopback adapter in the settings and start the VM. Now, open an internet connection on the Guest. Right click on it and select properties. You should be able to share it using Internet Connection Sharing. With that set, the Guest should get an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the Host should be able to obtain an IP from DHCP that runs on the Guest.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Atavist

Post by Atavist »

Would this work with a Linux host and Windows XP guest? My main machine triple-boots XP, Vista and Mandriva but I'm having a devil of a time getting the modem to work in Mandriva (dial-up is my only option for Internet access). I'm currently running Mandriva in VirtualBox on Vista but I'd like to run Mandriva natively if there's another way to give it Internet access.
jerry1091

Post by jerry1091 »

What is your modem?
Atavist

Post by Atavist »

An internal winmodem - Conexant D850 (HSF). It responds 'OK' to ATZ and Kppp's 'query modem' command returns meaningful results etc, but it doesn't seem to process the ATDT command... or something...

Post by 12358 »

@Sasquatch
Thanks for your solution. Probably this is the best solution for internet sharing in vietualbox. I have tried this. after completing the steps, a new internet dial up connection is created in my host. But this connection always says "Modem Removed. Unavailable Device". So, I can't use internet sharing in my host. I am guessing the computer which is trying to access another computer's internet, has to have the driver of the modem. In my case, I haven't in my xp 64 bit OS. So, I can't connect. Is there any other way for internet sharing in virtual box?
Thanks again.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Use a second PC to dailup and connect, then share it via the nic on that second pc, or use a router that has dailup.