BETA 1 - upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Ken S
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: MS Windows 10

BETA 1 - upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11

Post by Ken S »

Ok, I accept this is a beta.
I have backed up my VM
This is not a production environment
My host supports and is running a licensed Windows 11 - not a fresh install but was upgraded, no registry hacks, etc.
My guest is running up to date licensed Win 10.

Can I install and run BETA 1 and then get Win 10 to upgrade to Win 11? Do I have to do something to get Windows to recognise TPM 2, etc?

Apologies if this is already discussed, most users seem to have done fresh installs.

All help appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: BETA 1 - upgrading from Win 10 to Win 11

Post by scottgus1 »

This is by no means authoritative, merely a guess: If you switch the VM type to Windows 11, it should enable you to get access to Windows-11-required 'hardware' like TPM. Note that unhacked 11 also requires EFI for Secure Boot, I think, so the 10 VM should be booting on EFI also.
Ken S wrote:I have backed up my VM
Very awesome step, thumbs up! Please note that a simple folder copy of the fully-shut-down not save-stated VM is the best backup, and that exports are not good backups. File copies can be confirmed for integrity; exports cannot.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Thanks very much for the reply.
scottgus1 wrote:... If you switch the VM type to Windows 11, it should enable you to get access to Windows-11-required 'hardware' like TPM.
Switched to Win 11. PC Health complains about secure boot and TPM 2. I followed the instructions for UEFI but could not find UEFI shown on the troubleshooting screen. Do I need to turn on secure boot in VM manager?
scottgus1 wrote:.Very awesome step, thumbs up! Please note that a simple folder copy of the fully-shut-down not save-stated VM is the best backup...
Normal shutdown, directory copied to a different drive
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Little bit of progress ... W11 upgrade is failing because of ssudbus.sys, ssudmdm.sys and E1G6032E.sys
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Ok, at this stage it is not a VM problem, so leave it with me - tried renaming those drivers, couldn't, tried admin, couldn't, succeeded in safe mode admin command prompt, but problem still there?? ...

edit aahh powershell and the pnputil command! only last one left now.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

I am down to only E16G032E.sys. A lot of internet searching shows others have been this way before me! ... but no solution. I can disable it but then no internet for the guest. The host is using ASUS PCE AC68802.ac.

The guest is set up to use Intel PRO/1000 MT Server. I have tried others without success.

Any suggestions?
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

I have tried searching for an updated driver, but installed (8.4.13.0) is the latest I could find - there was a mention of 8.4.13.9 but it could not be found.